Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st time post and need some advice on a stx-15f

Hello i have read quite a lot of postings and can't quite get the answer i'm looking for so i decided to start a thread. I recently purchased a 04 stx-15f wtih 93 hours, i bought it not running. I brought it home and started looking into it, i found water in tops of the cylinders and the oil was milky. Pulled all the plugs, disconnected coils and fuel pump and ran the starter several times to try to get all water out. Sucked oil out and replaced with fresh oil. Dumped sea foam into cylinders and let sit overnight. Next day i did a compression test and had absolutely zero compression on all cylinders. set cams to there timing parks best i could with bumping starter and #1 and #4 weren't close to top of stroke. Pulled crankshaft inspection plate set crankshaft to TDC using a borescope and cams were not even close to in time according to the service manual. Retimed cams and performed another compression test with still no compression but could now feel it pushing some air. Bought four NGK spark plugs installed hooked up coils and fuel pump and gaver here a try. Sounded like it tried to fire and spit some water out the rear. I had the top motor cover off while trying this and when it ignited it spit smoke out of the alignment spacers for the top cover which i'm assuming is from the bottom end? also if you hold your hand over the hole in the air box it feels like it is blow and sucking? Still frustrated with no compression in decided to pull cams completely made a pully up for cam chain to run in and ran motor with all plugs pulled. All valves air in the closed position now with the cams being removed and i still can plug the holes with thumb and really feel no compression. To me i beleive i'm at the point to where i have to pull the motor, what could cause zero compression with both intake and exhaust cams pulled with out the result of the motor needing to be pulled? Also i threaded my compression tester into a cylinder and put 100psi of air to cyclinder 2 and could feel air coming out of the remaining three clylinders. So obviously i have some serious blow by! Another thing that scares me is its pretty apparent this motor has been out of this hull before looking at all the marks on the heads of the bolts and the duck tape residue arount the opening of the hull i'm assuming someone placed to try to protect hull when pulling motor.

Sorry for the long story just trying to cover everything i've done and came across.

Any help or suggestions on this would be much appreciated!

Shane

It sounds like your motor is "gone". And that water in the engine, for who knows how long, has only made matters worse. I would "punt" and start looking at the most economical way to replace or rebuild the engine . . .

When she is running again, I would upgrade to the 2012 Pump Bearing set up. It's fairly inexpensive to do, and it's a much more robust set up than what you currently have. JB

+1
    Reading your post the water being in the cylinders has probably rusted and pitted the cylinder walls, along with the rings. As for the timing being off, maybe somebody tried rebuilding or repairing the ski and got the timing wrong, in which case when they went to start it, they bent either every exhaust or intake valve depending on which way the timing was off. You need to pull the head at the very least to verify. I'd say go with John's advice and get a new engine.

thans for the replies guys, i kinda figured that was the answer

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Don't panic. Take the motor out and check the cylinders and bottom end.

Report back.

Sean

+1
    ....or at least pull the head for a look ....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Reading your post the water being in the cylinders has probably rusted and pitted the cylinder walls, along with the rings. As for the timing being off, maybe somebody tried rebuilding or repairing the ski and got the timing wrong, in which case when they went to start it, they bent either every exhaust or intake valve depending on which way the timing was off. You need to pull the head at the very least to verify. I'd say go with John's advice and get a new engine.

+1 need to pull head off for preliminary check.

Was out of town all weekend so i didn't get a chance to work on ski. The motor does have to be pulled in order to remove the head correct?

No but it will make it a whole lot easier to rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by furn1593 View Post
    No but it will make it a whole lot easier to rebuild

Well am going to attempt to pull the motor this week on the evenings this week. I have the service manual on PDF but was wondering if there were any good threads/ walk through for pulling this motor?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information