Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

94 SLT 750 Burnt Stator Ground

So I somehow managed to smoke the stator ground between the house and the ramp yesterday, with the OEM battery cover in place. I can't find any signs of arcing so not sure what happened. How long and how solid of a dead short does it take to burn the ground up?

If I understand the electrical system of my 94 750 correctly, I should be able to simply ground the Ebox from the engine block or battery to replace the burnt stator wire......right? Is there any reason not to do this, after I check the balance of the stator harness to make sure the burnt ground didn't fry any other wires and Ohm test it??

+1
    Looking at the schematic for 94 SL750 (same as the one I have) that wire just gnds the stator housing.

I looked at my backup and it is connected to the terminal strip on the top of the stator and ohms to gnd.
    hope this helps.

Has anyone installed a fuse there? Maybe 15 or 20 amp to protect from dead short.
    Last edited by Rivrunner; 07-20-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update

+1
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the fuse. Just sprayed the @%##$#& out of the bottom of the ebox with plastidip, made sure each of the cables had boots, and reinstalled the OEM battery cover....... If it happens again, I will go the fuse route...

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Something happened. Maybe something shorted between the flywheel and the magneto?

Is the battery cable insulation chafed?

Loose motor to engine plate?

Good clean connection at the engine plate?

+1
    I need to do the same to mine, I installed a AGM batt and the terminals exit different then the factory battery. I cut the ridge of the side of the ebox were the positive terminal exits but I dont have the factory cover, I think that might be tomorrows project! Thanks for the post to remind me. How tight are your straps to hold everything down? I dont like the way everything can move around with the rubber straps!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Something happened. Maybe something shorted between the flywheel and the magneto? Motor wasn't running so I doubt it

Is the battery cable insulation chafed? No

Loose motor to engine plate?no

Good clean connection at the engine plate?Yes
    The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have the insulating boot on the positive ring terminal and the box wasn't fitting quite right after I took it off last. Things went back together much better with the bottom of the box insulated with plastidip spray, rubber boots back onto the battery terminal, factory cap back in place.....

Everythings back together and running...... Had to be box to battery terminal.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    But how if you had the plastic cover in place? I would assume you'd see an arc flash mark if that were the case.

Guess we'll see what happens.

PS: motor doesn't have to be running for the magneto to short out to the flywheel if something conductive is between them. You have a constant 12V going to the magneto.

+1
    Sound like you overloaded the ground wire going to stator because of poor ground connection at engine, you were very lucky, 99% of the time if this wire fries, so does the stator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    But how if you had the plastic cover in place? I would assume you'd see an arc flash mark if that were the case.

Guess we'll see what happens.

PS: motor doesn't have to be running for the magneto to short out to the flywheel if something conductive is between them. You have a constant 12V going to the magneto.
    The plastic cover was there, but without the red boot on the positive terminal, a little bit of the bare ring terminal was exposed. Rode it today for about an hour, no issues, so hopefully all is well.

Good point about the 12v to the magneto.....Would just seem unlikely that something would lodge itself in there with the cover on and nothing spinning to kick debris up.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Sound like you overloaded the ground wire going to stator because of poor ground connection at engine, you were very lucky, 99% of the time if this wire fries, so does the stator.
    I still think this was a dead short at the battery terminal to ebox... I was expecting the stator to be fried as well........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information