Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    What sleeves, dimensions?

    Hi guys!
    My 2004 xlt 800 needs new pistons and sleeves. Engine has been rebuilt about 40 hours, now it leaned out and damaged one of the cylinders. Cylinders have been sleeved before this and pistons are wiseco 81mm instead of 80mm.
    Now, I was wondering can i buy new sleeves and new same size pistons (81mm) and install this myself? Can these sleeves be taken out with oven method? And how do i find out what is sleeve size, there are no numbers visible on the ones i have and ones for sale dont mention any sizes?!? I already have everything else apart and need to decide where to go from here. Help please


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by sjever View Post
    Hi guys!
    My 2004 xlt 800 needs new pistons and sleeves. Engine has been rebuilt about 40 hours, now it leaned out and damaged one of the cylinders. Cylinders have been sleeved before this and pistons are wiseco 81mm instead of 80mm.
    Now, I was wondering can i buy new sleeves and new same size pistons (81mm) and install this myself? Can these sleeves be taken out with oven method? And how do i find out what is sleeve size, there are no numbers visible on the ones i have and ones for sale dont mention any sizes?!? I already have everything else apart and need to decide where to go from here. Help please
    sleeves are pressed in you will need a machinist to do the work then it will need to be bored.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    sleeves are pressed in you will need a machinist to do the work then it will need to be bored.
    Ok thanks!
    Just looking online for best solution and I saw sbt's advertisement for cylinder exchange where they rebuild my cylinders, install new sleeves, new pistons, pistons rings and new set of gaskets for $475. Is it worth it? Anyone have better idea? I couldnt find many used cylinders out there

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,049
    +1
    238
    Sbt is crap from what I have gathered from this site. You get what u pay for my man

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Sbt is crap from what I have gathered from this site. You get what u pay for my man
    point taken! Any other suggestions?

  6. #6
    For recreational use SBT is fine. If u want to keep the repair cheap then they are an option.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vw4me33 View Post
    For recreational use SBT is fine. If u want to keep the repair cheap then they are an option.
    Thats the thing. I bought it this year and its been nothing but headache, I cant be throwing money into this like I am going to get it back some day. After all its just a toy. But, it is broken and it needs to be fixed no matter what because right now is worthless just sitting in my garage all taken apart.
    So if $475 for getting rebuilt SBT is not a good investment, is it better to get used cylinders, have them machined and put new wiseco pistons for example? Where do you guys buy parts?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    184
    Did you fix the "lean" condition? Check Riva or watercraft, I seen Wiseco pistons (3) for like 270, and ebay.....gooodluck

  9. #9
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,049
    +1
    238
    Im not positive but a big bore kit will run you more money and less reliability. I also think you need to do work to the cases and maybe crank.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kzzzski View Post
    Did you fix the "lean" condition? Check Riva or watercraft, I seen Wiseco pistons (3) for like 270, and ebay.....gooodluck
    Yes, problem is fixed. Carbs rebuilt. I did find wiseco pistons for about $100 a piece and I only need 2 anyways. I am having hard time finding cylinders now. There are some used ones on ebay but they want abour $350 a piece, that sounds a bit expensive since I will have to machine them too. Or is that fair price?

    @thatdude, I am not looking for anything special, I want to keep it simple, just to get it running for recreational ride every once in a while.

    thank you both for your help!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hello guys whats up
    By bling bling in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM
  2. what would cause this to happen to my sleeve?
    By WICKEDSEADOO in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 01:32 AM
  3. What is better, sleeved or plated cylinders?
    By badfast7 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM
  4. Sleeve rust, what shall I do?
    By kzzzski in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •