Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

300x Exhaust Filter Question ?

Ok so im having a debate as to how the exhaust filter goes in. It says in the manual that the blue mark on the filter goes on the port side. So i shouldnt be able to see the blue mark after insatalled cause its on the left side correct? Or am i missing something in the manual its hard to understand all the letters they refference to

The old filter had the blue mark on the starboard side

look closer at the filter, there should be an arrow etched on the side showing flow direction.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_JAX View Post
    look closer at the filter, there should be an arrow etched on the side showing flow direction.
    thanks got it blue mark faces the catch can

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra300x 702 View Post
    thanks got it blue mark faces the catch can
    So what are we doing with the exhaust filter - replacing it, cleaning it?

I am pretty certain it was FIRE that stated replacement sb conducted at 40-50 hours.

How do you know when it is bad, is there a visual you can do when it is removed or should it just be replaced?

I think Mal stated he had yet to replace his?

Thanks Guys!!!

PS - and what's the Function of this Exhaust Filter (I think I remember reading it was to minimize the possibility of rusting valvetrain, valves, guides, heads due to moisture/condensation)?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Those instructions are correct. It has the Blue Mark as indicated as "H" and Starboard as "F". Yes, toward the Catch Can (or the Right/Starboard Side of the ski).

Ed, I inspected my filter at 25 hours and it looked fine. I then got to 50 hours and should have inspected it again. It was a great day so I thought, what the hell, I'll go for a ride and inspect it when I get home. It'll only have 52 hours by the time I get back so it'll be all good. Mine ended up coming off while I was out there. I noticed that the ski was a little harder to start and ran on 3 cylinders for 10 seconds or so. It still idled, was just a little rough.

When I pulled everything out, the filter element looked pretty good, even though the centre/honeycomb had broken away from it's casing. It was as if the heat cycles weakened the join between the filter element and case. I think others failed the same way?

Cheers, Mal

+1
    So Mal, when the 300x exhaust filter fails, and "if" it comes apart, it simply gets pushed "out" and winds up in the waterbox - correct?

Was there anything else you had to repair besides simply replacing the exhaust filter, and I am curious why you had an issue with the engine running rough and even on 3 cylinders.

I would think the engine would run fine without such a filter at the "tail-end" of the system?

Again, Many Thanks!!!!

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    It lodged in the waterbox and I just pulled it out.

The moisture (evaporated water) travelling up the pipe made it's way to the plugs (those cylinders that had the exhaust valve open). It caused a miss-fire until the plug dried out, then the ski ran fine.

I noticed it because I was used to ski immediately starting. When there was some moisture on the plugs it was a little harder to start. Take note how easy your ski is to start. If you have any starting problems (even the slightest harder start) a few times during the day, check the filter.

Cheers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    So Mal, when the 300x exhaust filter fails, and "if" it comes apart, it simply gets pushed "out" and winds up in the waterbox - correct?
    Not always the case... and that's where the problems start. The broken filter / pieces can lodge elsewhere and cause an overheat; exhaust hoses can melt and that sinking feeling ensues...

This is what makes the determination of filter replacement intervals an important decision.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Not always the case... and that's where the problems start. The broken filter / pieces can lodge elsewhere and cause an overheat; exhaust hoses can melt and that sinking feeling ensues...

This is what makes the determination of filter replacement intervals an important decision.
    How would the ski sink ?

Not literally ski is sinking but just sinking feeling.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information