Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 gsx voltage regulator

my 97 gsx has been having the same problem since i bought it. it will not go past 3500 rpms. i put in new fuel lines, new filters, and had the carbs rebuilt. zero improvement. how can i diagnose a bad voltage regulator? i dont think this is fuel related because of how consistent the problem has been.

unplug the Black and Red wire connector coming from the voltage regulator... Fully charge your battery and see if you can get it to rev while riding... You will be running in a total lose and off just the battery, so keep your ride short..

okay sounds easy enough. does the voltage regulator almost act like an alternator?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    no..the regulator converts the a/c (from the skis alternator) to DC for charging the battery. A bad regulator ( technically a regulator/rectifier) will allow AC to leak into the system and that can cause ignition problems. Does your ski have gray fuel lines?..if so don't bother with the regulator..you have bigger problems. A search for 'tempo" will provide you with several hours of reading and a couple of hours fixing the problem

the fuel lines are all new. i have read alot about how the old fuel lines are like poison to these skis. the ski will actually run perfect for a few minutes in the water and then the problem starts and eventually the battery dies and i have to be towed back.

Ok - now that we see the issue better.. We need to test your charging system..

Test your battery voltage --- start your ski and rev to 3500 rpm - read your battery voltage - it should read about 13.5 to 14.5 volts while running at this rpm..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    while you are measuring the [email protected] switch the meter to a/c volts. You shouldn't get any reading at all if the rectifier is working properly. Leaking a/c voltage into the cdi can cause problems ( like misfires)

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    while you are measuring the [email protected] switch the meter to a/c volts. You shouldn't get any reading at all if the rectifier is working properly. Leaking a/c voltage into the cdi can cause problems ( like misfires)
    I would like to try and avoid conflicting results and not confuse him even more - Since it appears he has not followed the directions in post #2 yet..

Let's look for charging output first with him and then we can work back from there..

i tested the charge output. regardless of rpms, im getting 12.9 volts at the battery. when i disconnect the voltage regulator i get 11.8. i got a reading on the a/c setting whether the regulator was plugged in or not. i set the meter to ACV 200 and it jumped to 25. i am only unplugging the red/black plug. i definitely have a problem with this regulator, but could that also cause my low charging volts?

test your stator -
    Unplug the yellow wire connector going to the Voltage reg/rec..
    test the 3 yellow wires in the harness to engine ground - they should all show an open circuit...
    test any yellow to yellow wire in the harness and they should show 1 ohm or less resistance..

If you can pass both of the above tests - replace the voltage regulator/rectifier

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information