Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 Seadoo XP LTD (problems)

My 98 XP starts to bog down at high RPM's after the engine warms up. After riding for several minutes at full throttle my jet ski's rpm's go up and down between 4.5k - 6k. The ski does not turn off but it pulls back and forth between these rpm's. I have replaced the grey lines, removed and cleaned the carbs and filters, checked the RAVE valves. Jet ski runs fine when first placed in the water (60-61 mph on speedo) but then problem occurs when engine warms up. The compression is fine, had the top end done last year. Maybe electrical? Please any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you,
    Ed

+1
    Did you remove and clean the On/Off/Res fuel selector ? This usually gums up with crud from the old fuel lines as well. Now that you have cleaned the carbs you may have got more gummy deposits from the selector valve back in the carbs again.
    May have to pull carbs and inspect/clean and the fuel selector .

I did remove and clean the fuel selector valve when I replaced the fuel lines. I removed and cleaned the carbs for a second time and the problem still exists.

+1
    You said you cleaned them. A fuel pump rebuild will make a world of difference. Check for holes in all the diaphragms. It definately sounds like fuel. 951 electrical systems don't normally fail. I've never seen a bad 951 coil. Not saying they don't go bad. The fuel tank vents always plug up. That red and white check valve is known to stick. Maybe you are building pressure in your tank as the inside of the boat heats up, and the pressurized fuel is being pushed through the engine, and flooding the motor. Double check that your needles are set correctly. If the arms are too high, you will have no top end performance.

The only electrical problem I've had was due to a ground wire shorted out where it plugged into the MPEM. It wouldn't start, only would spit and sputter.

I will comment a little more on what was just said - your motor should be turning around 7000 RPM and Speedo should read about 70..

Your issue seems to be fuel delivery or fuel related - (not enough fuel flow at higher RPM's - either fuel pressure or restricted jetting)

Since you cleaned the carbs - - your issue could be the fuel pump or fuel tank venting, as stated..

Venting is easy to test for - just crack the fuel cap loose and see if that helps..

If all the above proves to be good - One other thing comes to mind - the water regulator..

Thanks for all the great advice! I did test the ski without the fuel cap but did not fix the problem. I am in the process of rebuilding the fuel pump. Hopefully this corrects the problem.
    Ed

Try pulling the springs out of the rave valves and go for a run - pick up will be crap but top end should be the same - see if oscillating revs prob goes away.

Check pulse pipe and check valve - i.e make sure the fuel pump is getting the pulse it needs

Check water regulator on the water box and make sure pipe from regulator to exhaust water injection is free.

Maybe check the resistance of the ignition coil and check again when the motor is warm and the problem appears

make sure the fuel return from carb is not blocked

Sounds like fuel but if you've checked everything twice need to look somewhere else

+1
    Fuel pick up might need cleaning, just saying.

Check for a kinked line comig out of the separator filter, I had same issues lasts week,! Found kinked line when I was pulling carbs to clean I must have pulled the fuel line to much!

Quote Originally Posted by southernflip View Post
    Try pulling the springs out of the rave valves and go for a run - pick up will be crap but top end should be the same - see if oscillating revs prob goes away.

Check pulse pipe and check valve - i.e make sure the fuel pump is getting the pulse it needs

Check water regulator on the water box and make sure pipe from regulator to exhaust water injection is free.

Maybe check the resistance of the ignition coil and check again when the motor is warm and the problem appears

make sure the fuel return from carb is not blocked

Sounds like fuel but if you've checked everything twice need to look somewhere else

+1 I had to switch that controls vacuum going to the raves go bad on my XPL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information