Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are SBT's fuel filters any good?

http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/36-010.html
    Has anyone used these fuel filters from SBT? Are they any good? How long are they lasting? Comments and opinions always welcome

+1
    What's so complicated about a fuel filter? Filters last as long as the contaminated fuel running through them is bad......?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I like them. Good size, clear so you can see the condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    What's so complicated about a fuel filter? Filters last as long as the contaminated fuel running through them is bad......?
    Boy that really didn't make much sense did it.... It really was meant to be a question..... Other than Ghosts comments, which make sense, is there really that much that goes into a fuel filter to make them good or bad?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I would avoid any "extra" fuel filter except for the nylon mesh types and even then any additional restriction in the fuel system can and has led to trouble.

Also using metal gas cans is looking for trouble unless they are pristine.

Same goes for pumping fuel out of another tank to top up your ski ( I know this cannot be avoided sometimes) using a quality fuel transfer pump with a good filter system is essential to avoiding problems when remote fueling.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    On these non-electric crankcase pressure pulse powered fuel pump systems, there is a limited amount of suction, pressure and flow available.

The fuel filter needs to do the filtering without adding excessive flow restriction or significant pressure drop across the filter.

Keep in mind that the fuel filter is in the suction portion of the fuel system. The fuel pump creates negative pressure to suck the fuel up the fuel pickup tube from inside the fuel tank and then draw the fuel through the filter and fuel selector valve to get to the fuel pump.

If there is also a fuel/water separator the fuel must get suctioned through that too.

There is positive fuel pressure only after the fuel pump, into the carburetors.

Flow restrictions in the suction portion of the fuel system have the effect of reducing fuel pressure/flow to the carburetors.

The fuel filter is not a way to avoid keeping the fuel tank and fuel system clean. Dirt or contamination in the fuel tank needs to be cleaned out directly. Do not rely on the fuel filter to protect the engine from junk in the fuel tank.

Take precautions to prevent dirt/water/bad fuel from getting into the fuel tank in the first place.

Edit: Not a fuel filter issue per se, but any AIR leaks in the fuel system between the fuel tank and the fuel pump will also reduce fuel pressure. The suction created by the fuel pump can draw in air bubbles if any of the fuel hose connections and fuel system fittings are not AIR tight. The air bubbles displace some of the fuel and effectively reduce the fuel flow and fuel pressure into the carburetors. The net result is similar to a fuel flow restriction.

Not only do you want minimum fuel flow restriction, you also want maximum air tight sealing throughout the fuel system. Just because it is not weeping or dripping fuel does not mean it is not leaking air into the fuel lines.

This is why good quality fuel lines and good quality hose clamps are important. You want every fuel hose connection to remain air and fuel tight despite engine heat, vibration and the passage of time.

And that air tight requirement extends to the fuel selector valve and fuel/water separator.
    Last edited by K447; 07-21-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Air tight fuel system

+1
    I did use an SBT filter for a season, but then switched back to the factory design after winter, I was on a vintage snowmobile ride during the winter & one guy had an old sled that used a carburetor with a built in fuel pump & was having issue with it running right, he noticed that there was hardly any fuel going through the return line back to the tank, he then changed the fuel filter with one like a factory ski uses, the thinner longer white one, & then had fuel always going through the return line & the sled ran fine after that, & the filter wasn't clogged or frozen because it was new shortly before the ride. So there could be an issue with fuel flow, but I would think SBT would not be selling them for skis if they caused a flow problem

Banned User
    +1
    It is written in the Polaris manual not to use any other type of filter than what is stock on the ski. Im sure they are designed to work with the type of fuel system on the Polars watercraft. The OEM Polaris filters are not that expensive, so I would suggest just using them.

+1
    All my skis have them. Never had any issue.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by loonatik View Post
    All my skis have them. Never had any issue.
    well paint yourself lucky. get a little water into one of those paper type filters and you'll see an immediate flow reduction..there have been a whole series of circumstances where these filters can cause problems. My favorite is still the folks that install a primer bulb AND squirt primers so they can get their skis started.

I tell folks:

"If it was really needed..it would have been there from the factory"

make your own decisions about how to deal with this..if you local fuel supply has crap in it ( and around here everything has dust) then by all means get some kind of filter system in place..but go overboard..and you'll burn a piston. heck Polaris skis can burn pistons if the last day of the month is a Tuesday.(or was that Friday?)

Checking the fuel return line flow is a great way to see if your filters are a bit much or if you have restrictions somewhere else. On a ski with a marginal pulse pump..it's not going to take a whole lot to put it over the edge.

One of those skis with the primer bulbs and squirters started at the touch of the button after a complete go thru on the carbs a couple of weeks ago. It's unfortunate, but the last guy that worked on it may get an ass kicking from the owner. He couldn't believe how easily the ski started and how great it ran. No magic involved..just a buy the book carb rebuild. He was suffering with the bogus setup for over two years.

That's why I give these additional filters an evil eye.

I actually pulled one of those filters off an oil injection pump feed last week..luckily the engine didn't to have seemed to sufffer much. Pyt the stock seadoo filter back in where it belonged.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information