Leaking coolant into hull RXTX 255

Hey guys,

I have aRXTX 255 . It is very close to a stage 3 an i am putting coolant into hull , Approx half egg cup every 10 minutes. I have had the cap tested all good. I have had it pressure tested cold all good.

I have run it in the river got it hot check the leaks and just can't find a thing. I have gone through the cooling system diagram on the oem chart, still no luck. Tested it again this morning leaking like a siv, but i can not find it.

I have ordered my own pressure test kit and an i will pressurize it cold to test.

Does any one know what the max pressure i can use in the system to test with out hurting anything else. The cap says 13psi but that doessn't pressurize it much for leaks.

Any help here is good help, i cancelled racing tomorrow , because if this???

Cheers

+1
    Sounds like your head gasket might be gone. To determine if this is the case, you need to place a container of some sort underneath the overflow tube of the coolant bottle. Do a few WOT runs. If the coolant is coming out of the overflow, your head gasket is gone.

I don't this worked last thread,

Would i be getting coolant into the oil or engine in this instance. WOuld the coolant be leaking out of the blown gasket as i checked this today but all clean

+1
    95% of the cases I read of blown head gaskets (and in my experience) the gasket is blown out between the combustion chamber and the water jacket. This will cause the coolant system to become charged and blow coolant out the overflow. you will not observe any mixing of oil/coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    95% of the cases I read of blown head gaskets (and in my experience) the gasket is blown out between the combustion chamber and the water jacket. This will cause the coolant system to become charged and blow coolant out the overflow. you will not observe any mixing of oil/coolant.
    Hey Mate,

Thanks very much for that help, i just put a water bottle on the end of the over flow and went for a ride in the the river at WOT for about 10 minutes and found about 10mm of coolant in the bottle.
    Thanks Mate, greatly appreciated, at least i now know where it is coming from.

+1
    No worries. I had the same issue as you are describing going back a couple of years. I let it go on for quite a few hours, just periodically topping up the coolant bottle. That was until one outing that I lost all the coolant in one ride and the ski threw an overheat alarm and went into limp mode. After letting it cool down, I topped the coolant bottle up with water and eased it back to the ramp.

After changing the head gasket, she was good as gold. What mods are you running? It might be worth investing in some ARP studs when you change the gasket, they have held up well for me and they are re-usable.

No worries. I had the same issue as you are describing going back a couple of years. I let it go on for quite a few hours, just periodically topping up the coolant bottle. That was until one outing that I lost all the coolant in one ride and the ski threw an overheat alarm and went into limp mode. After letting it cool down, I topped the coolant bottle up with water and eased it back to the ramp.

After changing the head gasket, she was good as gold. What mods are you running? It might be worth investing in some ARP studs when you change the gasket, they have held up well for me and they are re-usable.
    Yeah this trick has been a great help, i exactly know what is happening, Just ordered parts from Gerry this arvo. I am running nearly the same as you except a mini rude, at 8650 les cooke, plus 60lb injectors . I run a solas 15/22 now a 15 / 20 for winter and a 15/19 scat in summer now a 15/20 works well. I will also change the valve seats whilst it is out and get the head skimmed just to make sure.

All the studs should be OK , but i have a spare set here anyway just in case.

+1
    What speed and rpms are you turning? I was turning my 15/22 to 8460 when I was using that, now I'm turning the 15/19 scat with 1mm added to 8600.

I want to try out the 15/20, I think that'll be the ideal prop for my setup.

What speed and rpms are you turning? I was turning my 15/22 to 8460 when I was using that, now I'm turning the 15/19 scat with 1mm added to 8600.

I want to try out the 15/20, I think that'll be the ideal prop for my setup.
    I am using the 15/22 solas modified to 15/20 an am getting 8620 RPM it is cold here right now, so it work well. I have a 15/19 Scatty now at 15/20, for summer and it sit about 8600 . Both great props for the right set up. with every sitting perfect i am at 78mph.

Thread Information