Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92

    Loud Vibration/Rattle from Rear of STX15

    To make a long story short, there is a very loud vibration or rattle noise coming from the rear of my ski. I first noticed this on my second to last trip out on the ski. I was taking my friends tubing on the river when I first discovered the noise. The water level was very low, so I figured that maybe some "sea weed" was sucked into the impeller. Before the next trip out, I checked the impeller and did not find anything stuck in there. While out on the lake with my girlfriend, I noticed the noise again right away. It seems to be most prevalent at idle, but it is possible that the increased noise from speed could drown it out. I let her drive and tried to see if i could figure out exactly where the noise was coming from but didn't have much luck. When we got back I put the ski on the trailer and left it in the water. While running the machine I lifted the seats and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the rear of the ski, meaning behind the motor. It seemed to be somewhere underneath the small removable seat or the spot where the third person would sit.

    I know a mechanic who works at the local dealership and he warned me that they had a few of these machines come in with driveshaft issues. I believe he said that in one case, it caused catastrophic motor damage. I sent him a text but did not get a response. Could this be my issue? I would like to ride on the lake tomorrow but do not want to risk damaging my ski. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or what could be going on? Or even any areas to check for the vibration to see if I can get it to stop? I also get terrible gas mileage if that could have anything to do with it. I had another thread about that in the past but while tubing on the river I got only 4 MPG while never running at speeds greater than 45 MPH.

    Thanks.


  2. #2
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    How many hrs on the ski ? Check your. Pump bearings could also be broken baffle in the water box

  3. #3
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    How many hrs on the ski ? Check your. Pump bearings could also be broken baffle in the water box
    62 hours on the ski. Sorry, I'm new at this. What are the pump bearings/how would I get to them or know if they are bad? The water box comment is intriguing because that is kind of where it sounded like the noise was coming from but I wasn't sure.

  4. #4
    coldspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    62 hours on the ski. Sorry, I'm new at this. What are the pump bearings/how would I get to them or know if they are bad? The water box comment is intriguing because that is kind of where it sounded like the noise was coming from but I wasn't sure.
    Yep, put your hand on the water box and get someone to start it if it vibrates and resonates through your hand then it's a broken baffle in the water box. My mate broke his doing some serious wave jumping a month ago.

  5. #5
    SCHNORR12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    834
    +1
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by coldspace View Post
    Yep, put your hand on the water box and get someone to start it if it vibrates and resonates through your hand then it's a broken baffle in the water box. My mate broke his doing some serious wave jumping a month ago.
    Those are the two large silver things right? Would I be able to tell with the ski hooked up to the hose?

    My sister has been in Brisbane for a week. She is doing a semester at Sunshine Coast. She loves it so far.

  6. #6
    RLACEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Random Lake WI
    Posts
    884
    +1
    54
    My 15f has been doing this for 30 hours of use since I got it. I have replaced the pump housing, new bearings, impeller, driveshaft bearing (driveshaft runout was ok) & its still there, I did notice the primary muffler was touching the hull in a couple places so I slide some rubber sheeting between it & the hull, the noise is slightly less, but still there. On mine the noise goes away when making a turn, weird, could be a broken part in the waterbox, I haven't had the time to remove it yet to check.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    My 15f has been doing this for 30 hours of use since I got it. I have replaced the pump housing, new bearings, impeller, driveshaft bearing (driveshaft runout was ok) & its still there, I did notice the primary muffler was touching the hull in a couple places so I slide some rubber sheeting between it & the hull, the noise is slightly less, but still there. On mine the noise goes away when making a turn, weird, could be a broken part in the waterbox, I haven't had the time to remove it yet to check.
    My 08 15f is doing the same thing it only has 40hrs on it and is making a awful loud rattling sound that will go away in turns. Did you ever figure out what was causing yours to do that?

  8. #8
    RLACEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Random Lake WI
    Posts
    884
    +1
    54
    I never did solve this problem, have since had the muffler off, put a double bearing setup in the pump, nothing has made a difference, I am sure its not something that is going to self destruct since it has been doing it for over 100 hours now, I just put foam earplugs in before I get on the ski & don't notice it, the earplugs are also a benefit without the noise, because the wind passing your ears at 60mph can cause hearing loss, I first noticed this over 10 years ago I had a Honda Silverwing scooter which has a top speed of about 100 & is whisper quiet, but I always had a headache after riding it for an extended period of time at highway speeds & the wind noise was the problem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    I never did solve this problem, have since had the muffler off, put a double bearing setup in the pump, nothing has made a difference, I am sure its not something that is going to self destruct since it has been doing it for over 100 hours now, I just put foam earplugs in before I get on the ski & don't notice it, the earplugs are also a benefit without the noise, because the wind passing your ears at 60mph can cause hearing loss, I first noticed this over 10 years ago I had a Honda Silverwing scooter which has a top speed of about 100 & is whisper quiet, but I always had a headache after riding it for an extended period of time at highway speeds & the wind noise was the problem.
    That is crazy. I have no idea what could make such a noise. It kinda sounded like my pump was about to detonate but everything looks ok on it. Then I saw other post about the water box, I visually checked and the secondary water box was a little loose so I strapped it down better but I haven't had a chance to see if it made a difference or not. Might just have to get some earplugs too.

  10. #10
    RLACEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Random Lake WI
    Posts
    884
    +1
    54
    I'm thinking its pump related, but some sort of harmonic resonance thing between the hull engine & pump, the reason I think its pump related is that the sound goes away when making turns, at least at 30 to 40 mph. Looking at the pump itself as I have had them off often I can see inefficiencies that may cause cavitation noise, & that may be the reason that after about 40 hours I have to replace my pump cause it has a cavitation hole in it. I would like the opportunity to ride a new model & see if it does the same. I have never been able to ride my ski with a stock impeller, I don't know if the Solas ones could be causing this. But for less than 50 cents I can't hear it anymore. The only real thing that pissed me off about this was I thought it was the driveshaft bearing & in order to do this the engine has to be removed & I took it to a dealer for this job & it cost me a little over $1000 for the job & didn't solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2015 FZS rattle from front of engine
    By BLASTER 1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2015, 03:02 PM
  2. Vibration from rear of ski BUT comes and go's?!
    By JohnBoyMinster in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM
  3. Odd noise from rear of ski
    By pismo raptor in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
  4. Rattle from back of RXP
    By pdxrealtor in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 04:31 AM
  5. Removing Pump from rear of 95 sl 750
    By sweetcoupe in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •