Second Opinion on VX Deluxe Sale

First post on these forums, nice to meet you all. I've grown up in the waters of North Myrtle in SC, but all on boats. Growing up PWCs were nothing more than a nuisance on the waterway and here I am about to buy one. Little humor there.

Anyways, I'm about to graduate college, already in my career field and doing okay for myself (at my age) and have been shopping for a PWC to get me back on the water. The family boat (a 2005 Sundancer) was sold 2 years ago and there's been a void ever since. I've done my research and know of the reliability of the Yamaha VX Deluxe, as well as what to look for and the price range. However, I recently came across one being sold nearby for $2600. Now, at first glance that sounds like one that needs to be rebuilt (for that price), but upon minimal contact with the seller and reviewing the ad over and over, it's listed as in great running condition. Just seems too good to be true. And coming from a family in the car business, when something seems too good to be true, it normally is.

Before typing a novel, I'm gonna go ahead and provide a link to the ad for you guys to review it and offer your opinions:
    http://north-carolina.findanyboat.co...er-jetski.html

Now, I'm kind of bnking on no one reading this to be living in the Fayetteville area of NC and snatch this thing up before me by posting the link here.

Background: I've grown up in Fayetteville which is - as some of you way know - adjacent to Fort Bragg, the largest Army installment in the world. The city is half military and full of all types of different cultures. I say this, because if this were a beach town with nothing but locals, everyone would know everything about PWC and boat sales. They would know what to offer, what to do etc. However here in town we often get individuals who are transplants from the military who have no idea what they're doing with buying and selling commodities (simply because they didn't grow up around it like we did). What I'm getting at is that this guy may not really know how much he could offer for this.

In his e-mail to me after I asked about regular flushing, he said he's selling it well under market value because he needs liquidity to finish building his home. He's a MSgt. in the Air Force and that automatically establishes credibility (somewhat) with me. In fact, I'll include his e-mail to me to give you guys a better idea of this craft:
    Hello,
    Sorry for mailing you so
    late!
    I'm glad that you're interested in my jet skis.The jet skis is in good
    condition, has no technical damages at all, no scratches or dents,no hidden
    defects.The jet skis has been looked after very well - washed and cleaned every
    two weeks.The seats are clean and not torn. The exterior is in excellent
    condition. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a
    clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. There are no
    known problems with the jet skis as far as I know.

The total price $2600
    including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.

I AM SELLING UNDER THE
    MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM
    BUILDING.

If you are decided we are
    going to have a safe deal.

Please get back to me to
    explain you more.
    I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Thank you!
    --
    Air Force MSgt. Michael CENSORED
    Air National Guard
    CENSORED
    My question is, is this a good deal?

I plan on going by to look at it soon. What all should I look for aside from the obvious? I plan on doing a ocmpression check, checking the hull, checking the pipes, checking the intake, impeller, exhaust etc. The thing has just over 50 hours and a new trailer included. I mean what is wrong with this thing? He even includes a picture of the engine.

Sorry for the incredibly long message I just want to make sure I cover all the bases to prevent you guys from having to ask them and wait for an answer.

+1
    its a scam... shipping in most cases equals scam and the way it is written. Don't bother

+1
    Sound like a scam to me.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    From the sounds of the wording in the e mail Id be leary.....almost sounds like one of the Nigeria Scams the way its worded......Id go look at it personally and go from there....

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    From the sounds of the wording in the e mail Id be leary.....almost sounds like one of the Nigeria Scams the way its worded......Id go look at it personally and go from there....
    My thoughts as well. The only thing I can give to his credit would be that he typed it on his phone and autocorrect got the best of him. IT was also at 5:30 this morning when it was sent, which is slightly weird.

+1
    I agree do not buy it if you cant see it/ride it first. No reason to piss away $2600 bucks.

+1
    Auto correct does spelling , not grammar...............and the ad has been pulled......

+1
    Just send me $2500 and Ill help you collect your lottery winnings..................

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Just send me $2500 and Ill help you collect your lottery winnings..................
    How 'bout $2200 cash?

Yeah, I really just wanted some second opinions to turn this sale's status from a "almost too good to be true" to a flat out "way too good to be true". Now that the ad has been pulled I know my answer. Thanks for the time guys.

Thread Information