Thread: polaris ski

polaris ski

just pickedup 1995 polaris slx 780 ski got it running now but the oil warning is coming on also im getting oil from the back by the impeller when i run it i think i want to bypass the oil system and mix my own before i do that i guess i should look at the oil pump and see whats going on what do you guys think? also where could this oil be coming from by the impeller

That warning is from the sensor in the oil tank.

If you have oil by the impeller I would make sure the jet pump bearing seals aren't leaking or the carrier bearing is leaking grease.

On Seadoo's I keep the oil pumps they are very reliable. I am pretty sure Polaris use Mikuni oil pumps also.

It usually the small oil injection hoses and the filters are the weak part and give the pumps a bad rep. Its up to maintenance on the systems to keep them happy.

Yamaha's have the issues with oil systems out of all of the makers.

You only have 1 feed line to the pump and 3 small lines to the manifold/carbs so its easy to check if you remove the flame arestor.

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check whether the oil residue is coming from the engine exhaust. Often the exhaust system will have a black oily accumulation which gets sprayed out the exhaust.

5. +1 by:

what would cause oil from exhaust

+1
    Oil residue. 2 stroke motors do have some fuel/oil blow by as they do not always burn the entire fuel charge. Residue and other byproducts collect in the exhaust pipe and waterbox and will be blown out through the exhaust....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Oil residue. 2 stroke motors do have some fuel/oil blow by as they do not always burn the entire fuel charge. Residue and other byproducts collect in the exhaust pipe and waterbox and will be blown out through the exhaust....
    thanks, ski has been sitting years, took awhile to get it running, turned out it needed a fuel pump. now i have oil dripping out exhaust and making alot of extra smoke,

Thread Information