Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 Virage i Fuel Pump Problem DI

I am having a problem with my 2002 Virage i.
    The other day it died while running. I tested fuel pressure while turning it over. Gauge read "0"psi. Clamped return line, still at "0"psi. Tested for power to the pump, red/white wire is hot (as it should be). Pulled the fuel pump assembly. Pressure regulator is still in place, looks fine to me.
    I decided to bench test the pump. I put 12v to it and it started pumping! That has me worried. Could the pump be ok? Could the pump be working, just not giving enough psi to run the ski? Or do they normally just die and not pump at all. I hope I didn't pull my fuel pump for nothing.
    Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. You can also email me direct at [email protected]

Thanks, Brian

PS - I didn't check the fuse to the fuel pump (stupid). When i had power to the red/white wire I thought I was ok. I think I should check the fuse to make sure. Do you know where the fuse is on a Virage i 2002?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ficht fuel pump always has 12 volt power.

The EMM activates the electric fuel pump by grounding the Brown wire from the fuel pump. If the Brown wire is not grounded the fuel pump will not run.

+1
    Thanks for the info K4. I will check for ground tomorrow morning. Do you know where the fuse is on a 02 Virage i?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    ... Do you know where the fuse is on a 02 Virage i?
    Hmmm, as I recall the 2002 Virage TXi has two circuit breakers (Reset buttons), and I think one is for the fuel pump

If my memory is correct the Virage I would be the same.

If my memory is incorrect then there may be one or two fuses hiding inside a wire harness splice connector cover.

+1
    K4, You are correct in the circuit breakers.

I just tested the connector plug that goes to fuel pump.
    Red/white wire to ground is 11.5v.
    Red/white wire to brown wire (other side of same plug) is 10.8v, constant.

When i try to start it red/white to brown voltage jumps around 14 to 9v. That could be that my meter sucks , vibrations etc.

Also, I have two fuel pumps each one will bench test 12v and will start to pump. BUT when i connect them to the plug on the ski, and turn it over neither one will pump. I am starting to think that my old fuel pump works, its just not getting power. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!

+1
    ... I just tested the connector plug that goes to fuel pump.
    Red/white wire to ground is 11.5v. That seems low. Is the battery weak?

Red/white wire to brown wire (other side of same plug) is 10.8v, constant. Not a useful measurement when fuel pump is not running.

When i try to start it red/white to brown voltage jumps around 14 to 9v. That could be that my meter sucks , vibrations etc.

Also, I have two fuel pumps each one will bench test 12v and will start to pump. BUT when i connect them to the plug on the ski, and turn it over neither one will pump. I am starting to think that my old fuel pump works, its just not getting power. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
    Measure from Brown wire to engine ground, with fuel pump connected. You will have to find a way to tap into the Brown wire without damaging it.

Fuel pump off, Brown wire should show full battery voltage.

Fuel pump running, Brown wire should measure very low voltage, probably less than 1.0 volts.

In normal operation the EMM detects that engine is cranking via signals from stator and CPS. The EMM then 'wakes up' and among other things internally grounds the Brown wire.

+1
    K4, just did the test you described above. Brown wire have .05v when not running (cranking). Shows about the same .03 to .06v when running. What is this telling us? Thanks again.

+1
    K4, just did the test you described above. Brown wire have .05v when not running (cranking).

Shows about the same .03 to .06v when running. What is this telling us? Thanks again.
    Um, what is the Brown wire voltage when the engine is just sitting there, not cranking, but connected to the fuel pump?

+1
    Brown wire is at .05v when connected to fuel pump, just sitting there, not cranking.

+1
    Brown wire is at .05v when connected to fuel pump, just sitting there, not cranking.
    Something is wrong.

Assuming the fuel pump is plugged in to the wire harness connector, the 12 volts from the battery should appear at the Brown wire. With Brown not grounded the battery voltage flows through the low resistance of the fuel pump and appears as essentially full battery voltage on Brown.

When the EMM wants the pump to run it grounds Brown and the fuel pump then sees the full battery voltage on the power pin and ground on the Brown wire, and the pump runs.

It sounds like there is a wire break or broken/bent pin at the fuel pump connector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information