09 VX1100 Only getting half speed

I just put my 09 VX100 in the water for the first time this year, and it started fine, sounds ok, but my top speed is about half of what it used to be, approx. 47km/h. It's behaving like it's stuck in "L" mode, but I've verified that is not the case.

My last ride was fine before storing it in a heated garage. Over the winter, I made a point to start the engine every few weeks, just to keep things moving. The battery did drain a couple of times. I recharged it, and all seemed to be fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

+1
    Check your plugs. Check your air filter to verify no oil saturation, wasp nests, etc. Check your exhaust outlet for any obstructions. Did you keep much fuel in the tank overwinter, any fuel stabilizer? Is the display throwing any codes at full throttle?

I'll check those things. Thanks for the prompt response!

The fuel tank was empty for most of the winter. I topped it up just about 6 weeks ago. So, I guess there could be stale fuel in the lines. If that's the case, what's involved with correcting that?

I did change the oil late last season too. I guess it's possible I overfilled, and that might have contaminated the air filter. Either way, I'll go ahead and purchase new plugs.

Thanks again,
    Jim

+1
    You've likely already cleared the fuel lines if you ran WOT even briefly or idled for more than a few minutes. Could also be fouled injector(s). Are you running an ethanol mix fuel? If so, it will greatly increase your odds of problems on extended storage. Even the six week time frame you mention since top-up is pushing my comfort level w/ ethanol added fuel. All that said, I think a saturated AF, fouled injector or plugs are the most likely culprits. Stuck valve or ring are more remote possibilities. If you can check compression while you're swapping plugs it'll rule those in or out. One other thing you can check if it's still acting up on next water test - try running w/out the seat to see if the problem persists. I don't see how an exhaust leak would spontaneously appear overwinter, but it costs nothing to to check. And remember to check to see if it's throwing a code at WOT.

I replaced the plugs, and now all is well. Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate it.
    Jim

Thread Information