2004 polaris genesis i will not start,backfires through exhaust

hello there. first time user here. what i have is a 2004 polaris genesis i that will not start. parked it last summer one day and the next day it wouldnt start. took to a repair shop they replaced the stator but still would not run. after that wasted money i decided to take a crack at it. i have checked stator =ok. chkd tps, cps, temp sensors voltage to inj. while cranking is 19 vdc. talked to DFI down in alabama they said to ship the emm to them and they would look at it. they repaired and sent it back. plugged it in same results. backfires loudly through the exhaust. with the timing light on it with the 3 cylinders marked, it shows that the timing is juping all over the place. does anyone have any ideas???????????????/

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    My first thought is that DFI may not have fully repaired that EMM

Wildly varying timing and backfiring are often symptoms of a bad EMM.

If you prime the engine throttle body throats with small doses of fuel, does it start and then run properly?

Be careful with the backfiring. Not only can you split the exhaust resonators but you can also damage engine intake reeds or crank shaft seals.

Do you have access to another EMM you can use for testing?

04 genesis backfire

tried adding fuel through the throttle bodies to no avail.and no i do not have access to another EMM.can i crank this with the fuel pump disconnected,or can i pinch off the fuel lines without hurting something? the backfiring is severe. the one time it lifted my coffee cup 6 inches off the back of the ski and unto the ground! dont mess with my coffee!
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My first thought is that DFI may not have fully repaired that EMM

Wildly varying timing and backfiring are often symptoms of a bad EMM.

If you prime the engine throttle body throats with small doses of fuel, does it start and then run properly?

Be careful with the backfiring. Not only can you split the exhaust resonators but you can also damage engine intake reeds or crank shaft seals.

Do you have access to another EMM you can use for testing?

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    No problem cranking engine with fuel pump disconnected.

I would call DFI and ask them what they think the problem might be. They may well ask to look at the EMM again.

thanks i will call them when they open tomorrow.

Thread Information