Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trailer Causing hull Damage - Help

This is my first post, but i have browsed the site since buying my 2012 Ultra LX in May.

This is my first jet ski ( i have owned a few boats in the past ) and after my first ride, i had *a hard time getting it on the trailer. The nose of the ski just wouldnt sit the way it was before the launching. I relaunched and reloaded it several times with the same result. Everytime i take it out, things would get worse. Last weekend i noticed that the roller arm is moving up and down. Not sliding, but acting as a lever. I figured that was my problem and tightened those bolts when i got home. I thought my problem was solved.

Yesterday i took my first trip out to lake houston. The boat ramp was the steepest i had ever seen and i had a bit of trouble getting it off the trailer ( Back of ski was submerged in 4' of water and the middle of the ski wasnt even touching the water). When i went to park the car, i noticed one of the runners were loose on the trailer.
    When i went to load it back up, the ski made a sudden stop about a foot away from the neck. I had a long line of people waiting, so instead of fighting it i decided to back the truck up as deep as i could get. The trailer was floating and my back tires completly submerged. Then the ski went right on without an issue.

After it was loaded, a teenager came up to me and said " Dude, you f**** up your ski... I would be pissed!". I then looked at my hull and saw that part of it was missing.

So i have a three part question.

1. What would be the best way to repair the damage. I was thinking about one of those hull repair kits then find some kind of gaurd to cover the repair. but what kind of gaurd etc

2. what could possibly be wrong with my trailer? Does it look like it is setup right? The roller neck doesnt move anymore, but the nose is not fitting right.

3. How do i keep from this happening again. The answer might be as simple as not using this particular ramp anymore, but it seemed like another jet ski loading before me didnt have this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	277955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3426.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	277956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	277957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3422.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	277958  

I forgot to mention this is a 2011 Aluminum Triton Trailer that was purchased with the jet ski.

Also, the second pic in the above post is where the hull made contact with the trailer to cause the damage.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you are backing the trailer in to far, I back down to where only a 1/4 of the bunks are covered with water......

+1
    same trailer-my roller arm did the same thing....i had it welded.
    how fast are you loading it? I came in too fast once and similair thing happened....the bow went under the roller.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macs View Post
    This is my first post, but i have browsed the site since buying my 2012 Ultra LX in May.

This is my first jet ski ( i have owned a few boats in the past ) and after my first ride, i had *a hard time getting it on the trailer. The nose of the ski just wouldnt sit the way it was before the launching. I relaunched and reloaded it several times with the same result. Everytime i take it out, things would get worse. Last weekend i noticed that the roller arm is moving up and down. Not sliding, but acting as a lever. I figured that was my problem and tightened those bolts when i got home. I thought my problem was solved.

Yesterday i took my first trip out to lake houston. The boat ramp was the steepest i had ever seen and i had a bit of trouble getting it off the trailer ( Back of ski was submerged in 4' of water and the middle of the ski wasnt even touching the water). When i went to park the car, i noticed one of the runners were loose on the trailer.
    When i went to load it back up, the ski made a sudden stop about a foot away from the neck. I had a long line of people waiting, so instead of fighting it i decided to back the truck up as deep as i could get. The trailer was floating and my back tires completly submerged. Then the ski went right on without an issue.

After it was loaded, a teenager came up to me and said " Dude, you f**** up your ski... I would be pissed!". I then looked at my hull and saw that part of it was missing.

So i have a three part question.

1. What would be the best way to repair the damage. I was thinking about one of those hull repair kits then find some kind of gaurd to cover the repair. but what kind of gaurd etc

2. what could possibly be wrong with my trailer? Does it look like it is setup right? The roller neck doesnt move anymore, but the nose is not fitting right.

3. How do i keep from this happening again. The answer might be as simple as not using this particular ramp anymore, but it seemed like another jet ski loading before me didnt have this issue.
    in oz, if you buy the ski and trailer from a dealer.
    they should have adjusted the trailer to suite the ski.
    maybe take it back and ask for there advise.
    repair the ski with a gelcote touchup kit.
    you shouldnt need a gaurd.
    if your forced to add a gaurd, then the trailer should not have been sold with that ski.

I have tried it from every depth. The only time i didnt have any issue is when i backed the whole dang truck in the water this last time.

I come in as slow as possible, which seems too fast to me but it is at idle. Then when i hit the bunks it stops and i give it gas to make it onto the trailer. Which it goes under the roller... Then i get off and hook up the winch, back the car up as far as i can, get back out and pick up the front of the ski to put it on top of the roller. This last time it went so far under the roller ( about 1' ) and collided with that one part of the trailer.

It seems like the roller is way too high. kaybat, from my pics above does it look like it is in the similiar place as yours?

Wot, the dealer did set it up and i could take it back to them to be re-setup. But taking time off work, driving 120 miles round trip, they keep it for god knows how long, take time off work again, drive another 120 miles round trip to let them do something they obviously dont know how to do doesnt sound appealing. Especially when it might be a simple adjustment i could do in 5 minutes.

I did notice that one bunk was loose. So tomorrow i am going to take the ski off the trailer, fix the bunk and check for any other issues that may exist. Which brings up another question.
    Would it hurt anything if the damaged spot got wet? I know over a long period it can cause additional damage, but i would sure like to go ride tomorrow.

I was never good at that kinda stuff, so i figured my repair job would be obvious and i could use a keel guard to cover up my repair. lol

The damage is into the fiberglass. Would the Gelcoat Touchup kit be sufficient?

+1
    sorry to say buddy but its in what your doing that is causing the problem, the rear of your ski is obviuosly still floating when you mount the trailer thus forcing the front down under the roller. you only need the very rear of your trailer bunks/rollers under water just enough to float the ski on with a bit of light force, the ski should ride up clear of the water. try coming in much slower by using your reverse lever like a brake only half applying it you should be able to control the speed this way. if not i suggest you get off the ski before you load it and take note when you winch it on. ramp angles dont alter a thing its all in how you place the rear of the trailer in the water. use the winch if you are not sure thats what its there for.

I have tried just winching it on, but have the same issue.

If everyone thinks that my front roller is in the proper place, then it has to be me. I have owned alot of boats, mainly cabin cruisers and wakeboard boats. So what i think is shallow for a trailer might really be too deep when it comes to the ski. I know for a fact that it has never "ride up clear of the water". With boats i would have never done that and have made sure i havnt with the Ultra.

I am my own worst enemy sometimes......

Tomorrow i am launching it to fix the bunk on the trailer.... Actually, as i am sitting here looking st it i might be able to do that on the trailer. It is just loose and the bulk is firmly against the hull, so i shoukld be able to just tighten it. hmmmmm

Does anyone think it would hurt anything to go riding tomorrow with the hull like it is? Heck, i can cover it with some duck tape and put a thick wax coating over that if it is an issue.

Heck Yeah! I am riding the bay tomorrow!!!!!!

+1
    lol i think you are your enemy!! take some pics of the ski on the trailer front side and rear, give us a look what you have set up. like i said you want the bunks up out of the water when you are loading the ski atleast the 3/4 of them anyway.

it wont hurt riding with that damage but i would get it fixed asap, dont put any coating on it. tape if you have too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information