+1

how harmful is reving motor with debri stuck in prop

i recently had a super hard piece of plastic wedged in between my prop i was far from the ramp and couldnt get it out i no i shouldnt have but i reved it a few good times trying to get it out whats on the end of the shaft anything that can be damaged?

+1
    Most of the time it just mess up the wear ring. I have gotten a few sticks in my. The plastic might of rip the wear ring up being a harder plastic. How hard is it to turn your motor over backward by hand? I see you have 4 strokes and that would be pretty hard to do and back a stick out on the water. . Sometimes bunny hopping my ski will pop it out. But am talking older lite seadoo skis. I think it should be fine

+1
    I had a piece of wood stuck on mine once. I tried giving it a couple quick revs, but it didn't come out, so I limped it back (about 30 miles @ 5-10 MPH) and a couple miles out, it finally came dislodged by its self. This was close to two years ago. I took my pump apart last weekend and noticed that it had worn a very slight groove in the wear ring and the rear part of the transom plate. The wear on the wear ring was actually more of a polishing, and didn't seem to wear anything off, but the transom had a groove I could feel. It didn't make a noticeable difference in performance.

I had the same problem last year, but I had a stick jammed in my prop. I could only go to about 3,000 rpms or the whole ski would vibrate & sound like it was going to fall apart.The max speed was about 3-5 mph, so it was a loooooooong ride back to the ramp about 1-1/2 -2hrs. I got the stick out w/ out any damage, but you never know, take a good look at everything, maybe even pull the pump if you have to to double check. This was last year & I am fine now. Hope this helps & good luck!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wave15stx View Post
    i recently had a super hard piece of plastic wedged in between my prop i was far from the ramp and couldnt get it out i no i shouldnt have but i reved it a few good times trying to get it out whats on the end of the shaft anything that can be damaged?
    Don't worry you have not done any damage i had the same thing happen to me the other week was vibrating like crazy.

+1
    I hate injesting debris, you can get stranded very easily on some of the lakes and rivers here in Florida. Water is still very low here this summer. Some of the areas I was in yesterday were very shallow, had to keep it on plane just to get through the skinny water.

Whenever we go out we take a wrench to remove the intake grate and clear the prop of any plastic debris, bark, cypress wood chips or whatever; it usually only takes a long bladed kitchen knife to do this and you're back on the water in 15-20 minutes. The hardest part is tipping your ski up on its side; you might need help with that.

+1
    What I dois I carry a 1/4" X 18" long stainless round rod with a "J" bent in one end with me in the hull to get any thing hung in my pump out most of the time I can get to it even with the intake grate still on. I also cary a knife with a extra long blade ( 9-12" long) just incase I have to cut a rope or weeds out from around drive shaft. Tommy Jordan

+1
    I thought I had debris in mine once too but it was a broken prop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00994.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	278015

Thread Information