Question Rebuild SC at how many hours for 2012 Yamaha FZS and rebuild motor or other issues??

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying 2 2013 FZS when they come out. I was wondering at what point, if left stock that I would need to rebuild the SC, and how many hours before a rebuild on the engine? Are there any other issues that might cost more money other than oil changes? Just don't like the See-Doo's as you have to rebuild the SC at 200 Hrs...

Thanks,

Randall

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by williamsrt View Post
    Are there any other issues that might cost more money other than oil changes?
    You'll have the initial cost of replacing both intake grates, unless Yamaha address that issue for 2013 (I'm not holding my breath). Read the sticky post at the top of this forum for much more info. This upgrade is safety related and IMO absolutely mandatory. Fortunately, it's a do-once-and-forget-it job which can easily be installed in under an hour, in your garage, with the skis on the trailer. Or get the dealer to throw in the swaps before you leave the dealership.

There's a new SC design for late 2012 which I assume will be in all 2013 SC models. Too early to know if the current SC issues will be resolved with the newest design. I think your statement about the Sea-Doos not needing a SC build until 200 hours is stretching it a lot. Read the posts on the Sea-Doo forum for a more realistic view of the SC durability on their new skis.

As for a rebuild on the Yamaha engine - that should be the last of your concerns. It's a very durable engine and unless there's a catastrophic failure, perhaps as a result of highly modifying the engine, an engine rebuild is hundreds of hours out.

+1
    Randall, you are talking about the most durable marine engines on the market. Good idea to lubricate the intermediate housing every 100 hours and a valve clearance check at 200 hours. Combine them with the Yamaha Y.E.S. FIVE YEAR warranty and you will be looking at the most trouble free PWC experience available. The only thing "extra" our FZ's have required was a half-quart of oil in TWO YEARS of weekly operation.

+1
    The only thing "extra" our FZ's have required was a half-quart of oil in TWO YEARS of weekly operation.[/QUOTE] 1/2 quart in two years !!! what a smoker..NOT! lol
    the rental ski's have regularly gone 1000 hours.......go to the beach or lakes and see what the rental's are...usually Yamaha vx110's 4 stroke..they last forever being ridden like a rental ! my 2009 FZR's clutch went out at 130 hours , I have a c-3 wheel in the housing...my uncle has about the same hours on his stock 2010 FZS and its hauling ass with a stage one kit just as good as day one.......

Yea and I tell u what's bad, down in panama city beach were me and the woman goes, there rentals really don't even get maintained either the get rode the crap out of then beached and the guys put a rope on the front and they drag them out up on the beach and then put them back in the water and do it all again. They rarely get flushed and oil changes and it's salt water and I'm sure they have tons of hours and they are all yamaha's

Yup....your right......VX110 Sport..... Great gas saver ...half the amout of FZ and vxrs........

Quote Originally Posted by dodge4829 View Post
    Yea and I tell u what's bad, down in panama city beach were me and the woman goes, there rentals really don't even get maintained either the get rode the crap out of then beached and the guys put a rope on the front and they drag them out up on the beach and then put them back in the water and do it all again. They rarely get flushed and oil changes and it's salt water and I'm sure they have tons of hours and they are all yamaha's

+1
    An FX HO

Thread Information