Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: big bore cost

Banned User
    +1

big bore cost

what a ballpark cost on doing a big bore build on a 1200 gp1200r?

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    what a ballpark cost on doing a big bore build on a 1200 gp1200r?
    keep in mind you also have to be willing to babysit the ski from that point on more than any stocker...
    keeping a modded ski that`s on the edge in tune is priority and imperative... Big bore is not for your average gas and go rec rider...

Banned User
    +1
    reason i ask is this: im picking up a 2001 triple pipe gp1200r that has the following mods: jugs ported by lowell, cases ported by lowell, factory triple pipes, rad total loss flywheel, vf reeds, riva gas valves, riva milled heads to 150 psi, jetworks, riva free flow, advent ignition, jims r&d shimmed plate, riva ppk kit, stepped sponsons, shimmed trim tabs, r&d 1200 grate, trued hull, solas 14/2? prop, crank trued n welded by crankworx, riva power filters, carbs and all mods by island racing, free air mods, and whatever else im forgetting. the bad is that its gonna need two jugs renicked and new piston kits. im going to pull the motor and tear it down this fall and winter and go over everything. planning on have all three jugs renicked, new piston kits, and send the crank to crankworx to give it a once over and make sure its g2g. my question is since im doing all of this work, should i have them bore and sleeve the jugs out and throw in some seizeco pistons? what else would i have to do to the cases? whats the cost verses what my original plans are?

Banned User
    +1
    Supposedly the ski ran a best top speed of 84.7 mph, how much more speed would big bore kit get me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    reason i ask is this: im picking up a 2001 triple pipe gp1200r that has the following mods: jugs ported by lowell, cases ported by lowell, factory triple pipes, rad total loss flywheel, vf reeds, riva gas valves, riva milled heads to 150 psi, jetworks, riva free flow, advent ignition, jims r&d shimmed plate, riva ppk kit, stepped sponsons, shimmed trim tabs, r&d 1200 grate, trued hull, solas 14/2? prop, crank trued n welded by crankworx, riva power filters, carbs and all mods by island racing, free air mods, and whatever else im forgetting. the bad is that its gonna need two jugs renicked and new piston kits. im going to pull the motor and tear it down this fall and winter and go over everything. planning on have all three jugs renicked, new piston kits, and send the crank to crankworx to give it a once over and make sure its g2g. my question is since im doing all of this work, should i have them bore and sleeve the jugs out and throw in some seizeco pistons? what else would i have to do to the cases? whats the cost verses what my original plans are?
    If you are already planning on re-nikasil and new pistons anyway, I agree it is perfect time to go big bore.

Banned User
    +1
    What's all involved? I take it the carbs will need bigger jets, jugs sleeved, and bigger pistons. Will the porting on the jugs be fine for the big bore along with the rest of the parts listed. I'm guessing the advent will need tweaked?

+1
    Couldnt u just run 1300r powervalve cylinders,then you could stick with the nikasil

+1
    The 1200 jugs are perfect for a big bore...millinium plating will bore then re-nickasil to a 87mm bore you need the group-K piston kits to go with the 87mm bore....you can pm Ben Herman or WFO and they can probably help you more than I can.

Banned User
    +1
    What's a ballpark price when said and done? Gonna need jugs bored and renicked, jugs rebored, cases rebored, pv cut and matched, 87 mm pistons, Prop reworked, gaskets, And head machining. Wow I see dollar signs flying when I put it all on paper! Lol

+1
    thatdude596, are you sure you wanna do this? Not trying to rain on your parade or put you down, but you've spent the last few months looking for someone to help you with a PPK, prop, and ride plate because you don't have the tools or knowledge, only to find out your engine was toast. Now you wanna jump into another engine rebuild on a fast ski and like Pale Rider said, it'll need constant attention. I realize we all start somewhere with our skill and knowledge level. Hopefully you have some good help or you're starting to gain the knowledge and skills needed to go this route.
    Either way, the greenhulk members will be here to help in any way possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information