+1

05 RXP supercharger question

This is my first post here. I have searched about this, but it doesnt appear that anyone has addressed this. I bought this ski a little over a month ago with 73 hours on it. I'm know about the ceramic washers and that is what my question pertains to. I am now at 98.8 hours, so I am about to pull the supercharger off to put washers in it. SeaDoo says to rebuild the supercharger at 100 hours. Do I really need to replace the bearings? It just seems to me that the bearings should last a lot longer than that. I am an ASE certified master technician. I see automotive superchargers go 150,000+ miles before needing a rebuild. Can I get away with just washers, or do I really need bearings and shaft as well?

Paul

+1
    Really need to do a full rebuild, the rebuild kit comes with new metal washers and improved 08 design shaft and clutch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    This is my first post here. I have searched about this, but it doesnt appear that anyone has addressed this. I bought this ski a little over a month ago with 73 hours on it. I'm know about the ceramic washers and that is what my question pertains to. I am now at 98.8 hours, so I am about to pull the supercharger off to put washers in it. SeaDoo says to rebuild the supercharger at 100 hours. Do I really need to replace the bearings? It just seems to me that the bearings should last a lot longer than that. I am an ASE certified master technician. I see automotive superchargers go 150,000+ miles before needing a rebuild. Can I get away with just washers, or do I really need bearings and shaft as well?

Paul
    First off Paul let me welcome you to the Greenhulk forum....
    You really need to rebuild the whole charger...these little ass bearings are spinning in access of 40-50,000 RPMs..Times that by a hundred hours thats alot of stress on them...They have been known many times to let go..It is something i would not chance playing with....If one of these bearings let go your in for alot more repair than just a simple rebuild....Plus the new kits now come with metal clutch washers so you no longer need to buy each seperate....

+1
    Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I pondered it all day yesterday and decided to buy the full kit. I plan on doing the rebuild myself. I found a tool kit to hold the supercharger. Is this necessary as well or can it be done without the tool kit.

Paul

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I pondered it all day yesterday and decided to buy the full kit. I plan on doing the rebuild myself. I found a tool kit to hold the supercharger. Is this necessary as well or can it be done without the tool kit.

Paul
    No you will need the tools as they are designed to hold the gear and charger itself as you torque the nuts and bolts down....you also need that gear holding tool to check/set the slip and the locking tool to hold the collar to break the nuts loose....You will also need a press to press the old bearings off and out of the shaft and Scer as well as pressing the new ones on and in the Scer...

+1
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I have a press at the house. I build car and truck differentials on the side, to make extra money. So that's covered. I will order the tools when I order the rebuild kit. I am going to take the supercharger out of the ski tonight. It looks really easy to do once the engine compartment is opened up completely.

Paul

Thread Information