1995 750ss major driveshaft problems/how bad?

so the first time i took my 750 out, i noticed it had a terrible vibration at low rpm (terrible at idle), but smoothed right out when you gave it throttle. it powered up strong in the water though, so off we went. made it half way across the lake, hit a wake, and it died. fired right back up, took off fine, got it up to speed, hit another wake, and it died again. fired it back up, hit the throttle, revved but didn't go. revved it again, and nothing, so i shut it off. buddy that was with me on my other ski came over, hooked up a rope and started pulling it to shore, this was when we realized it was taking on water rapidly. by the time we go to shore, the hull was full. drug it up on a lift and drained the water out to assess the problem. found the coupling between the motor and the driveshaft was broken, driveshaft was bent, and seals at the rear of the shaft were broken. went to town, bought some expandable foam, filled the driveshaft tube with it, waited a couple of hours, and pulled the ski back across teh lake to the ramp and got it out to bring it home to fix it (it was at his lake house up on syracuse in indiana).
    anyways, that's the back story as to my dilema. i'm new to jet skis, so am not sure where to start on this. i pumped water out of the motor already because it sucked some in, so motor is spinning freely again, but wont fire. i'm sure with the amount of water it took on, i need to drain the tank and put new fuel in. how do i go about pulling the driveshaft? does it come out the front or the back? im not sure of the technical terms for things, so if someone could tell me what they are, and what all i need to get, that would be great, here are a few pics of what i can tell i'm dealing with so far.
    (in the frist pic, i tried cleaning some of the foam out of the was so its easier to see)

also on a side note, this is a pic of my intake, is this all there should be? or should there be a tube that runs up to the intake vent on the front?

thanks for any help, i appreciate it.
    greg

+1
    You're gonna need to pull the motor to get it out. I would pull the pump too just to check the bearings and splines on the prop as well.

I have a perfect used driveshaft and bearing for a 1994 750 ss xi but I am in california. Not sure if it would work but it would get you up and running quickly.

And I am pretty sure you are missing an air box of some sort.

+1
    Well, sealing the driveshaft tunnel with foam was a very thoughtful way to handle it.

Sadly, however, if you were not able to run your engine and burn the moisture out of it, you probably have rusted crankshaft/rod bearings.

I suspect this stems from broken engine mounts. When you hit the wake, the engine moved enough to mis-align the coupling, causing the damage to it.

I, too, have a couple of driveshafts of different lengths (STS, perhaps?). You'll need a bearing holder (~$100). The engine coupling really isn't too expensive. Before fixing that stuff, I'd probably pull the carb and reeds off and take a look inside the engine. If you see rust on the rod bearings, it's toast.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Change fuel, pull plugs and turn it over until no water, then fire it up ASAP! You need to dry/heat up engine internals as quickly as possible to avoid damage.

When you replace coupling, etc, make sure to align motor. If there are any shims on the mounts make sure and note where they are as this will help with that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Change fuel, pull plugs and turn it over until no water, then fire it up ASAP! You need to dry/heat up engine internals as quickly as possible to avoid damage.

When you replace coupling, etc, make sure to align motor. If there are any shims on the mounts make sure and note where they are as this will help with that.
    It's been 2 weeks since this happened, so there's no rush to fire it up, it's toast.

As far as shims, the bearing holder was torn out, so he's starting from scratch anyway.

Thread Information