Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

VXR/S owners I have some questions?

VXR/S owners please chime in here and post the good, bad, ugly about this ski. Will this ski really hit 68 mph stock? How does this ski ride in the chop? Does it have adjustable handelbars? Trim? Is it a stable ski for 2/ riders? Do you find plenty of storage for coolers, lines, extra stuff for a long day on the water? I'm guessing this non supercharged ski is good on gas? Does the hull stay dry after being in the water all day/night? What are some of the down falls of this ski?

Thank you for all helpful feedback!
    Last edited by driveumhard; 07-22-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    I have two 2011's with 20 hours. Very fast but not good at all in chop, especially on big lakes due to its light weight but mostly due to its hull design. Stable with two riders but very tippy with three riders. Can tow well though for tubes, wakes, etc. Excellent on gas and 87 octane-----you wont find better. Handles extremely well. Not much storage compared to bigger skis. I love both mine but am probably going to trade for FX SHO's--- they cost more, but do so much more so easily----great in waves/chop, plenty of room and power and storage, and superior overall platform as well as having trim and cruise etc. Not much more fun though than VXR screaming across a SMOOTH lake at full speed. Best of all worlds would be to have both.

Good luck with your choice

E

Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    VXR/S owners please chime in here and post the good, bad, ugly about this ski. Will this ski really hit 68 mph stock? How does this ski ride in the chop? Does it have adjustable handelbars? Trim? Is it a stable ski for 2/ riders? Do you find plenty of storage for coolers, lines, extra stuff for a long day on the water? I'm guessing this non supercharged ski is good on gas? Does the hull stay dry after being in the water all day/night? What are some of the down falls of this ski?

Thank you for all helpful feedback!
    Yes, 68+ mph stock is very realistic. I am "68 and change" on mine bone stock. The trick with this ski is to not try and turn it into something it is not. Meaning it will never be one of the better Skis in the rough / chop. You can "plate and grate" it until you are blue in the face and it will at best be a "marginal" rough water boat. If you pack it right, storage is decent. It has a very big glove box and "adequate" bow storage. It will ride two up OK as long as the water is down. It is really a one person, smoother water Ski. It in the right conditions it will run with anything stock. And is one of if not the fastest PWC's you can buy. I do like mine! JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Yes, 68+ mph stock is very realistic. I am "68 and change" on mine bone stock. The trick with this ski is to not try and turn it into something it is not. Meaning it will never be one of the better Skis in the rough / chop. You can "plate and grate" it until you are blue in the face and it will at best be a "marginal" rough water boat. If you pack it right, storage is decent. It has a very big glove box and "adequate" bow storage. It will ride two up OK as long as the water is down. It is really a one person, smoother water Ski. It in the right conditions it will run with anything stock. And is one of if not the fastest PWC's you can buy. I do like mine! JB
    i agree, but a good intake grate will improve rough water hook up to a point, if your looking for a ocean going rough water ski, go the FX or FZ series, bigger and better ocean going machines, my VXS is great in the fresh water river we ride in most every weekend, and like JB says, dont keep chasing the MPH, it cost too much to get just a few, i dont even want to add up what it cost me to ge to 72.5...............

+1
    Great info here...... keep the comments coming please!

+1
    Here's something I wrote recently...

Really consider your riding conditions, unlike me a couple months ago. I was all about the VXR but if I had to do again I would probably get a Yamaha that rides better in rough water. On flat water the VXR/VXS is very fast and nimble and a lot of fun to ride but once the water gets rough it's a different story. You can't just cruise in these conditions, you really need to be aggressive and stand up and ride the VXR (can be fun too tho if your in the mood).

It's hard to explain but on most ski's I've ridden your just riding on top of the water but on a VXR your like "part" of the water. I know it sounds weird but its tight handling, light weight and massive power let you really connect with the rough choppy waves which can be a good and bad thing depending on your preferences.

+1
    Speed Demon is right on the money. Get a ski for your PREDOMINANT riding conditions. If it is at all choppy you won't be happy long term with the VXR.

I agree with all of the above with regards to riding conditions. Mine is kept on an inland Wisconsin Lake and I love it. It pulls a tube and a spotter with no problem.

+1
    I have had my 2012 for 5 weekends now and have 20 hours on it. I love the machine. even stock it is really fast and a lot of fun to ride. the seat is very comfy. i don't find it tippy but i have not had any large people on the machine at the same time i am so not sure if that makes it tippy or not. seems very stable to me. i have taken it into the ocean with 5 to 6 foot swells and had a blast, of course i was alone on the ski and getting airborne is fun in my book. no water in the compartment after that trip. i take it on one day river rides as well and don't have a problem packing a soft pack cooler full of cold drinks and a sandwich into the bow. enough storage for a one day ride...more than that you may have to strap a cooler onto the swim deck. i took it to a very busy lake with lots of chop (white caps) and it did get a little rough but i had my young child on it and could not really open it up to skip across the chop. i have not ridden one, but if you have the extra coin and are going to be riding chop all the time i would go for the bigger sho machine. i did ride the cheeper vx cruiser and there is a huge loss of performance in that catagory.

+1
    I think its a really good ski but then again I may be the only VXS owner on the forum that actually likes his ski, hehe. With the right plate and grate combo it hooks up as good as any ski I've owned. It doesn't have a ton of storage but plenty for me. If you want to go faster than 72 don't buy this ski though because seems to be hArd to mod it past there.

I ride solo and stand up a lot, especially in the chop. I ride aggressively and like to feel connected to the water. I like a nimble ski that takes technique to ride but I don't like messing supercharger problems anymore. So the VXS is a good platform for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information