Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual Starting Problem 1999 1200 - Please Help

1999 Yamaha 1200 LTD ran great, we cut it off then it would not start. Beeped W Temp and START would blink, no cycle of the powervalves, no clicks - nothing. Jumped the starter relay - no change. Inspected impeller & intake grate for catch / objects - all was good. I have d plate installed with the chip. First thing I did was to get into black box and bypass the starter relay by using a wire to connect the 2 big posts. No change.
    Then I found a disconnected W temp. sensor ( The one farthest from D - Plate ) and reconnected it. Now it no longer beeps W Temp when I try to start, however START blinks and still does not try to crank, no clicks, etc. Disconnected battery for 2 hours in attempt to reset computer...Still no change. Checked the 2 fuses in ski - both good. Do I need to reset the computer? Already tried resetting the code and then entering lock and then start mode again.
    When I reconnected the sensor I assumed it would simply start back - but it will not. I thought that a long disconnect would reset the system but nope...I find it hard to believe that this would be a problem with my starter, battery, etc. because they are both new and probability says this is directly related to the W Temp sensor that I found disconnected...I tried running the positive battery cable to the starter - still wont crank. I know it "looks" like a bad stater but whats the probability of my starter dying out at the same moment my W temp sensor became disconnected? Not likely. Are there any more fuses in this thing?

IF you ran the positive and negative straight from the battery to the starter and the battery and starter are good something should happen imo

+1
    Have you ever considered checking the main power wires and grounds,if they are all original they are 13yrs old and are constantly around moisture,I have even seen wires go bad right in the middle of the piece of wire and it could be possible you have a power and ground issue.i would replace the wires due to their age anyways especially since I had a stator fry and im almost positive it was due to the grounds going bad.I also like to add an extra ground from the electerical box casing to the battery cause if u examine the wiring inside the box there are a bunch of wires inside that ground to the box,but only 1 ground coming out that goes straight to the stator

+1
    When u ran straight power to the starter and nothing happened then you either have a bad ground or a bad starter,I know you said the starter is new,but where did u get it from,if you bought a cheap eBay or reman or used starter then it is possible it is bad,and it could be corroded or bad wires that caused the new one and the old starter to go bad

5. +1 by:

Thanks - I ran the positive only from the battery... Maybe doing both would be wise.

Ok silvercrxsir I appreciate the advice. I think you both are spot on. I will run a new ground wire to verify I have a good ground first. Then double check the positive. I am now thinking that I caused the W Temp alarm to go off by knocking off the dang connector when I started troubleshooting. I think you are correct that it is a starter / wire problem. I actually had the starter rebuilt last year at a very reputable local alternator shop. Maybe this was not a good choice especially since I did not save that much money anyway and as hard as that starter is to get to in that ski - should have bought new...Whats your thoughts on sbt brand of starters?

One more thing - if the starter is locked would that account for no cycling of the powervalves - no clicks, etc?

+1
    The motor must spin over in order for the pv to cycle,I would also run a ground from the electerical box to the Batt,doesn't need to be fancy 12ga wire will be fine,I ended up replacing all my power and grounds I used 4ga welding cable from tractor supply I think it was $2 a foot and is the best wire you can get and I used the copper cable lugs and after I crimped them I covered the exposed wires with liquid electerical tape(Walmart sells it)then I sealed them with marine heat shrink from harbor freight and after cleaning up the block where the ground mounts I used that battry spray crap and gave it a quick spray to seal it up.just be sure to try to reuse those rubber boot covers and fill them up with some grease.sounds like overkill but water especially salt water is hard on wires

+1
    It is a possibility the starter is bad or locked,its real easy to disassemble the starter,mine got real weak and I opened it up and the brushes inside were corroded and stuck so I cleaned it up and got all the brushes to contact the armature and it worked like new again.for your ques about sbt starters I heard they are actually really good.

So you were right - starter locked up. Pulled it out and hooked it to jump pack and my dang jump pack started to smoke! Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it. I already had it rebuilt once - prolly will just buy an SBT starter...Oh I did open it up but dont really know what I am doing in there - definitely all corroded up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information