Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New owner with questions

So I just put a down payment on a 2012 vxr. I've never launched a boat before and I was looking for some tips. I'm guessing i'd have to back the trailer far enough into the water for the ski to float to unhook the front strap? Then push the ski to deeper water to start? The truck is 2wd so that may be a problem. Also I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction for some trailer guides, I was thinking of making my own out of PVC pipe..

thanks!

+1
    Yes you need a couple feet of water to operate the ski.
    Look, all ramps are different; some people launch from beaches, etc. -- but this is what we do on a ramp with a "normal" amount of angle and depth... the ski doesn't have to float off the trailer; just back it down far enough to get the back half of the ski in the water.

At that point you can start it up and that way the thrust will keep it from slipping off the trailer backwards. Make sure it's running okay then cut it off. Grab your PFD and a bungie cord so you can secure the ski to the dock. Now you can unhook the bow and push the ski off, or if the water is too deep just get on the ski, start it then reverse it off the trailer and slowly move it over to the dock or beach to clear the ramp so others can launch while you're parking your vehicle. Be careful; if you have never launched before, it would best to do this with a friend on a weekday vs. a busy weekend.

The first thing you want to do is some slow speed maneuvering in open water;
    practice shifting into reverse, forward, in between for neutral, etc. the important thing is to gain confidence stopping the ski and holding it in a neutral position; this is very important to do before you attempt to return to the dock or trailer. Most beginners have no problem flying along at 60 mph but they often damage their new ski when they get around the dock because they never took time to master SLOW SPEED maneuvering. For more tips see my list for newbies here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

I assume you will have carpeted bunks so the boat will not roll off if you loosen the bow tie down. Most ramps I have been to allow you to keep the rear wheels out of the water but not always. I don't find it to be a big problem but you can get some wheel spin.

Be sure the tow vehicle is in park and not able to roll back down the ramp. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN MORE THAN ONCE. It's great fun to watch but not fun to be part of.

If you have a passenger, I like to put them on the boat, back into the water at a moderate speed and hit the brakes. They will slide off the bunks and the launch is complete.

+1
    seems simple enough. just got practice backing up into a parking space or something, only thing i'm worried about is the truck not being able to get off the ramp and a rock or something getting sucked into the ski.

http://www.fullwavemarine.com/TIPS%2...AHA%20PWC.html

Scroll down to see pics of trailer guides, can buy parts at hardware store, have seen for sale premade for like $60

+1
    It gets easier and easier each time you do it. I back my trailer in just so the wheels of it are submerged then I unhook the bow wench, get on the ski and use reverse to get it off of the trailer. Dock, tie it off and park the car. Make sure the back drain plugs are screwed into the ski before you launch.

What color did you get it in?

+1
    I back up until my rear wheels are at the water line but not touching the water. This is usually enough to submerge the rear wheel fenders of the trailer depending on the tide. At low tide they stick out a little and at high tide they are deeper, doesn't matter except it takes a little more force to push it off. I position the ski so it's about 2-3 feet from the dock. I then step in the water, unhook the bow line, then simply push the VXR off the trailer and jump up on the dock with my 15 foot dock line in my hand which is looped around the handle bars. Then I drag it a little down the dock and tie it off to get out of other peoples way while I'm parking.

Go very slow when your pulling your ski out of the water if your worried about traction.

+1
    I was just gonna get an L-bracket for the guides and drill into the flare on the end of the fenders (ez loader). The color is black, looks pretty mean! Also anyone putting anti-seize on your spark plugs? 100 hours is a long service interval.

Thanks for the tips everyone

+1
    The VXR's are really light. Just submerge back half of ski and you can easily push them off. Do it all the time myself.

+1
    should I unhook the front strap before I back down the ramp?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information