'06 15f fuel pump vent hose

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pump.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	278027

I attached a picture of the fuel pump, from my 06 15f. The center hose if Im not mistaken, with the E and F labels on it, is the vent hose, please correct me if I'm wrong.

After the last ride I noticed a strong odor of gas, and after sitting on the trailer for a few days, gas was leaking out the 2 drain plugs on the back of the hull.

After messing around with it for a bit, i turned the handle bars and gas starting pouring out from beneath the outer rubber shell of the bars.

The vent hose goes up into the steering assembly some where, but I didnt want to actually remove the whole unit, for fear of getting in there "too deep" due to time and lack of all the tools i should have.

I tightened some loose hose clamps all along the fuel lines, and took it for a test run. No issues, however unlike the last time, i was only running on a 1/2 tank rather then a full tank of fuel...the only thing I can think of, is the possibility of the one way vent valve going bad, and there by letting gas flow out. I cant think of any other reason as to why gas would be leaking in the handle bars...or why there would even be gas up there to begin with.

any thoughts???

Yes, sounds like you have a bad one-way check valve.
    It should hold up to about 4-5 psi before relieving.
    The expanding fuel volume (in tank due to heat) will fill up the vent hose.

So once it has leaked out of the vent hose does that mean the valve is shot and needs to be replaced?
    And I suppose if i leave the gas cap cracked open while it sits in the driveway in the sun it would help to prevent the pressure build up.

Quote Originally Posted by 624C View Post
    So once it has leaked out of the vent hose does that mean the valve is shot and needs to be replaced?
    And I suppose if i leave the gas cap cracked open while it sits in the driveway in the sun it would help to prevent the pressure build up.
    To be sure, you need to test the check-valve using a tool like hand-held vacuum/pressure device with a guage like 'MityVac' to see at what pressure it opens.
    The internal fuel tank pressure might have exceeded the threshold of the check valve.
    I would not recommend to leave gas cap open, not a good idea.
    But you may want to open/close the fuel cap just before or during storage.

Thread Information