Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

refreshing the sl750

So ive been delaying the inevitable but its time that i tear her down and give it some tlc. The pump shaft seal has been leaking for a while and getting worse, the pump its self also rattles and bangs like you wouldnt believe, but thats because it spends half of its run time out of the water so the entire pump is getting gutted and rebuilt. The last straw came when something let go, like a bed plate bolt because the entire engine is lifting out of the plate about 4 inches when you pull on it. Ive concluded that the motor as well has to come out and while im at it i figure ill freshen it up with some rings/top end,put a real block off plate on it, all new seals, put a new flame arrestor on it because that old blue plastic thing is smashed to pieces and duck taped together, as well as tune the carbs because ive been lazy and the thing is running WAY to rich, and just give it an overall clean up because it looks like someone dumped a gallon of crude oil into the hull.. ill start taking pictures tonight as I start gutting it in a few hours.

The only concern I have is the pump/shaft alignment. As long as i put the shims back in the exact same spot they came from The alignment should stay the same correct?

Also, if someone has a working fuel sender for a 94 sl750 that they want to sell, hit me up

So aparently i cant get pictures off my phone onto my computer so i will have to play with it a little. So some bad news, i pulled the motor and there was ONE bolt left about hand tight holding the motor to the tray. When i pulled the tray it appears one bolt ratttled out and the other 2 tore out of the block and smashed the holes up real bad.

So in this position, would i be better off just rebuilding this one and getting new cases, or do i just go and try and find a new engine.

Are there any other engines that will drop directly into the hull/plug into the electronics like the 780 or 1050?

+1
    780 should just drop in. May have to change the bed plate(s) though. 1050 is domestic I believe and will not easily interchange.

Ive decided that im just going to retap and fix the old cases and run it, i just finished tearing down the engine, and while the pistons rocked back and forth in the cylinder about a 1/8 of an inch and a bunch of blow by, the pistons and cylinders actually look fantastic. The rods have absolutely no slop or up/down and side to side slop. I was hopeing to retain a factory bore and just hone the cylinders and and throw a new set of std pistons/rings in it, but cant find any thing in std. bore so it looks like im going to have to have it punched out as well.

any recomondations on top end kits?

Banned User
    +1
    Wsm will work well for your top end kit. If the cylinders are clean, .25mm over should work for you.

+1
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-750-...ht_1482wt_1001

And a pretty nice price if I do say so myself.....

well i got my cases repaired and wsm top end kit is on its way from texas. Pretty happy this happened because I found all kinds of stuff that needed to be redone. Asides from the crazy piston slap, airleak from the gutted oil pump, and blown up pump, 8 of the 16 reed pedals have chips broken off of the corners so i had to make a 3rd order from sbt for those.

Also, how does this piston wash look? The plugs them selves came out soaking wet every time as it was running extremely rich, but im just curious.

As well, does anyone have a good used housing/impeller on hand that they would want to sell for cheap?

I guess all of this explains why the ski would only hit 32 mph on a good day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	278382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	278383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	278384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	278385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	278386  

+1

Banned User
    +1
    Give the inside of that hull a bath. Your hands will appreciate it when you put everything back together.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    My wash opinion is:
    Mag looks great
    Cen looks rich, 1/8-1/4 IN
    PTO is close, maybe 1/8 out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information