1050 Carb Rebuild

Hey all, this is my first post here, but I've been doing a lot of reading in the last few weeks. I'm in the middle of attempting to bring a 97 SL1050 back to life, and will probably be starting a few threads as I run into hiccups. This weekend I dove into rebuilding the carbs, and had a few questions as to sourcing a few parts that were broken or very corroded.

First off, I had quite a few screws that the heads were too corroded for me to get enough torque on them to get them out, so I had to drill the heads and use a stripped screw removal tool, which worked out well. I've been using polarispartspitstop.com for any oem parts that I need, so I went on and figured I'd just order the screws that were destroyed, and maybe a few extra just in case. I need a bunch of the screws that hold the pumps onto the carbs, and also some of the screws that hold the carbs to the rails that hold all three together. So I dialed them on on that site, and, holy crap, they're like $10 per screw!!! I'm looking at like close to $100 in screws!! Any one know of another source to get these from cheaper? Or exact lengths and threads to get them somewhere else?

I also need a few head bolts, which is another thread coming soon, but these are around $10 as well. I guess that makes a little more sense since they're not just tiny screws, but still, any better source for these?

Lastly, I cracked the plastic Y fuel connector that goes from the outside carbs to the middle carb. The middle carb doesn't have a pump, just fuel lines going to it from the other carbs, into this Y connector. The diagram on partspitstop doesn't show this connecter, only a single in on the middle carb. Anyone know where to source this? It's not a standard plastic Y fitting, it's like two in in a Y and then a single out that's on a 90 degrees different axis if that makes any sense. Like if you bent the bottom of a Y back so that it was pointing away from you.

Sorry for a long first post. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Mike

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i've got plenty of the screws,the y fitting is going to be tough.not a part you can order.you pretty much have to ruin a carb body to get one out intact.why not go with a set of the 40mm carbs with an accl pump,most guys that have had the 1050 and switched then over liked the accl pump carbs better.

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    i've got plenty of the screws,the y fitting is going to be tough.not a part you can order.you pretty much have to ruin a carb body to get one out intact.why not go with a set of the 40mm carbs with an accl pump,most guys that have had the 1050 and switched then over liked the accl pump carbs better.
    40mm carbs is tempting, but I already rebuilt my 38's, just need these parts to button them back up properly. Right now I'm trying to spend the least amount of money to get this thing back on the water reliably, then maybe do some upgrades over the winter or next summer. There's a bunch of other things that need to be fixed on the ski, so probably going to stick with my current setup.

Would you be willing to part with some of those screws that secure the pump to the carb? There's 4 per carb, I need 6. Let me know or private message me if you're willing to sell them. I'm definitely interested.

Would I be able to just use a standard Y fitting and then hook up another short fuel line between the Y and the brass fitting? Not sure if that would seal well enough. There's got to be some kind of decent option... Is there another fitting or Y that could screw into the hole that the current Brass fitting is in? Damn, so pissed that thing broke!

Mike

Banned User
    +1
    Why not just go to the hardware store and get some stainless screws???????

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Why not just go to the hardware store and get some stainless screws???????
    That's why I was asking about the threads. Is there anything special about them? I'm not an expert with this stuff, and I don't want to end up stripping the threads in the carb because I bought the wrong screws, and then find myself retapping the holes or something like that. That's why I was willing to pay a little extra for them from a dealer, but not $10/screw! I'd love to be able to just go to the hardware store and pick them up. Are there any specifics I need to know to get the right thing?

Any one with ideas about that Y fitting?

Does anyone know the type of connector that attaches to the brass fitting? I'm trying to find an alternative online, but I don't know what the third end should be. Need a T or a Y with two 1/4" barbed ends for the fuel hose, and then what type of connector going into the carb?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i can send a brass 90 elbow that can be pressed into the middle carb and then come up with some kind of tee to tie the other carbs to.make a list of the exact # of black screws you want and which ones.pay for the shipping and its your's

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    i can send a brass 90 elbow that can be pressed into the middle carb and then come up with some kind of tee to tie the other carbs to.make a list of the exact # of black screws you want and which ones.pay for the shipping and its your's
    That would awesome! Thank you so much, don't know what to say. I'll private message you my info and exactly what I need.

Thread Information