newbie with 03 GTX di, need help and clarification

Hello everyone,
    took out my 03 GTX di just recently purchased out for the 1st time, and encountered some possible issues.

1. With 3 people on the boat and opened the throtle (to go as fast as possible), it beeped and saidn Hi-temp, checked the temp and it was at 84 degrees. Why is it doing this?

2. After using the machine for a little while, zipping around, tight turns and trying to go over my own wake, it would beep and say the oil is low. I checked the reservor it was more than half full. I'm thinking that the oil was getting sloshed around and triggered this? Am I correct or should i be checking something else?

truly enjoyed great machine for the whole family.

thanks

+1
    I think the temperature gauge you are looking at is the ambient air or lake water temperature not the actual engine temperature . but not 100% sure

my machine as two temp readings, it "L" temp and "E" temp reading. the "E", is extirior temp, and it read 84, "L" is for water/lake temp. The beeping and Hi temp reading only happens at open throttle with 3 people on board. Why is that?

engine is under a heavy load and you most likely have a water flow issue.. Blow through and clear all your cooling water lines..

How do i "blow through"? I'm very mechanically enclined, but new at these 2-stroke water cooled motors.

thanks

Make sure none of your water lines and fittings are clogged - use water via the flush hose and pull lines off and check or use compressed air to make sure they are clear..

Do not blow compressed air thru the water regulator on top of the waterbox/muffler..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    first thing to do is to backflush the engine. You'll find a stub on the port side of the jetpump area that allows you to connect a garden hose. Run the engine at idle for a few minutes ( no more then 5 minutes) at idle. Start engine-start water then stop water-stop engine. You may have been getting low water flow if while crusing under your 3 people load your pump was cavitating..this can be caused by a wear ring issue. Get a really bright light and take a look inside your pump..you shouldn't see more then a very thin gap around the prop.

you should have water coming from one of the cooling sstem tell tales. I think on your ski it's in the stern..right next to the tow ring, but it may be on the port side near the hood. ride it hard by yourself and the check the hull...if you've got hot water in there you have a leak in the cooling system, if you have cold water in there you may have aleak in the cooling supply line, which comes off the jet pump.

Overheating a DI engine is very very bad..you want to ge this problem solved quickly.

you may want to pull the plugs to check that they look about the same. if one is very very white and the other is not, you have an air leak in the engine itself.

look at everything at report back on what you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel_miguel View Post
    How do i "blow through"? I'm very mechanically enclined, but new at these 2-stroke water cooled motors.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    first thing to do is to backflush the engine. You'll find a stub on the port side of the jetpump area that allows you to connect a garden hose. Run the engine at idle for a few minutes ( no more then 5 minutes) at idle. Start engine-start water then stop water-stop engine. You may have been getting low water flow if while crusing under your 3 people load your pump was cavitating..this can be caused by a wear ring issue. Get a really bright light and take a look inside your pump..you shouldn't see more then a very thin gap around the prop.

you should have water coming from one of the cooling sstem tell tales. I think on your ski it's in the stern..right next to the tow ring, but it may be on the port side near the hood. ride it hard by yourself and the check the hull...if you've got hot water in there you have a leak in the cooling system, if you have cold water in there you may have aleak in the cooling supply line, which comes off the jet pump.

Overheating a DI engine is very very bad..you want to ge this problem solved quickly.

you may want to pull the plugs to check that they look about the same. if one is very very white and the other is not, you have an air leak in the engine itself.

look at everything at report back on what you are seeing.
    There is a little "stub" on the port side near the front of the boat but water comes out of it. Do you mean at the back of the boat? I connect the hose back there and I don't know what I should be looking for, there is water coming out the back, what else should I be doing? When I rode the ski, I checked the hull and there was no water.

When you say to look in the pump, where is that, am I looking through the impeller/exhaust? Sorry I'm new at this.

I checked the plugs and they are fine. Colored very similar.

Please provide more assistance. This will be very much appreciated.

+1
    The engine must be running when you turn the water on the hose connected to the little stub and you turn the water off before shutting down the engine. Do not let it run more than about 3 minutes or the carbon seal on your driveshaft will overheat.

Water should be coming out of the rear through the pump and it should be coming out of the telltale "pisser" on the left side of the hull in front of where your left foot would be. If you look at the left side of the hull, under the rubber bumper where the top and bottom of the hull come together, it will be a small hole about as far forward as the handle bar. Water should be coming out of that anytime the engine is running in the water or when connected to a hose.

The impeller is part of the pump.

Thread Information