Thread: FX SHO HP

+1

FX SHO HP

Hey guys, I got into a "debate" with a Kawi owner this weekend about our ski's. I offered the opinion that Yamaha must have the better hull design since it only takes "a claimed" 210hp to push our ski thru the water at the same mph or faster than a Kawi with 50 or more hp. He claimed that it was all publicity stunt by Yamaha to market their hull design as being superior by "sandbagging" or understating HP numbers. He said there's no way in hell a 1.8 SC ski is putting out only 210 hp, it's more like 265hp he said. As a point of reference he pointed out the Riva 310hp kit for our ski saying, there's no way that a couple of bolt on pieces and a new ECU gives you 100hp more over stock. So what do you guys think, is Yamaha understating HP numbers ?

P.S. He had a 260 that I could walk away from all day long, so he might have been mad about that....lol

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    hes level of stupidity was full after you beat him lol, i have no idea how many hp this sho motors bring, heard about 210 -215 but not 100% sure.

Its marked right on your valve cover, show.him that next time.
    I cant remebrt how many kw it says but i known converts to 208hp!!

He claimed that it was all publicity stunt by Yamaha to market their hull design as being superior by "sandbagging" or understating HP numbers.

And why would Yamaha do this? If anything, they would exaggerate their horsepower number. Let's face it, he was embarrassed that his 260 hp ski is slower than his buddies 210 hp ski.

+1
    i thought they were 217 hp and yes they do keep up with the 255 and 260 sea doo easily, i believe a lot is to do with the sho is a 4 cylinder 1.8 and the doo's are a 3 cylinder 1.5 so the sho generates alot more torque, hence the boost is wound down on the sho thats why its easy to wind the power by 100 + h.p.

+1
    the weight of the ski might have something to do with it as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Its marked right on your valve cover, show.him that next time.
    I cant remebrt how many kw it says but i known converts to 208hp!!

154,5 kw, almost 211 hp

+1
    How awesome would it be if Yamaha stepped up to the plate with the 1.8 engine, but made it in a 15psi application....that would blow the pwc world away...along with the competition. But then again, that would take away our fun of modding our skis.

+1
    All ski's are limited to run below 70 MPH due to an "agreement" between the coast guard and PWC industry. That's why stock vs. stock is always close on comparible skis. Different manufacturers limit the skis in different ways; some by limiting RPM and boost (if applicable) electronically (rev/boost limit in ECU), some with GPS limiters, and some just by limiting the amount of airflow through the engine. To get a good true comparison between skis, one would have to eliminate the limiting factors without adding any extra performance parts, but that would be difficult because, in many cases, by eliminating the limiting factors, you are adding a perfomance part.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Hey guys, I got into a "debate" with a Kawi owner this weekend about our ski's. I offered the opinion that Yamaha must have the better hull design since it only takes "a claimed" 210hp to push our ski thru the water at the same mph or faster than a Kawi with 50 or more hp. He claimed that it was all publicity stunt by Yamaha to market their hull design as being superior by "sandbagging" or understating HP numbers. He said there's no way in hell a 1.8 SC ski is putting out only 210 hp, it's more like 265hp he said. As a point of reference he pointed out the Riva 310hp kit for our ski saying, there's no way that a couple of bolt on pieces and a new ECU gives you 100hp more over stock. So what do you guys think, is Yamaha understating HP numbers ?

P.S. He had a 260 that I could walk away from all day long, so he might have been mad about that....lol

One thing to understand isn't the Horse power it's he curve. Like at say a Honda S2000, it makes 240HP but only at 9000 rpms and has almost no torque. Look at say an Altima V6 which has the same 240 but has it much sooner and longer see. You want a FAT curve which displacement gives you especially supercharged.

The Yamaha may indeed only have 210HP but it hits with toque hard and holds it vs a smaller motor which only peaks at higher numbers.

Thread Information