Exclamation 07' 250X lost top end mph after parking for 20 min?

One of my 07' 250X models just lost all its top end after a buddy and I had parked at a sandbar on the river this weekend to visit some friends.

I'll start by letting everyone know I know no history (Bad History) of this ski as I had just bought it used last week. I purchased it from the original owner and I verified this with the local Kawi Dealer and also the guy just had it in for routine service. (oil,plugs and battery) a week before I purchased it. All recalls were done and no repairs were ever needed at time of service. Ski has 51 hours on it now.

We took the ski to Lake havasu and ran up river 20 miles and came straight back down. We rode fairly aggressivly as it was rough due to the weekend traffic but still managed to burn a full tank in both Ski's. We then loaded them up around 1pm and hauled over to Blyth on the Colorado river. We ran the Ski's for around an Hour or less with a new Tank of premium fuel (91). We probably averaged 50-55 MPH during this time when we came up to some friends at a sandbar and pulled in to chat. 20 min go by and we decide to go for another ride before loading to head home and the ski took off fine for about 200 yards and then fell off like the slo key was installed? the ski just kinda boggs after 35-40 mph and nothing else there? Babied it back to the trailer and when I pulled it out of the water I dry fired it to exit most water and noticed that the ski acted like the rev limmiter was set low (5500 ish?) I wrapped the throttle a few times and there it sits now.

The Ski had no warnings on any guages, boost was up to 10lbs ish and the tanks were still almost half full. There were no strange noises and nothing visually wrong when looking under the seat.

Any recomendations as to where I might start looking and has anyone else had the similar happen? I looked at the plastic "T" on top of valve cover and it's not burnt nor melted.

Shayne

+1
    How deep was the water when you started the ski again?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like you've got a boost leak somewhere

The water was almost waist deep when fired.

boost guage was up?

Banned User
    +1
    Change your plugs check your belt. Check your air intake air horn is not stuck to hull. Make sure the pump is clear.

This is the way mine acts when the plugs foul out.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    This is the way mine acts when the plugs foul out.
    Ill change the plugs even tho they were just replaced before this ride....I'm not used to 4 strokes fouling plugs but then again.....stranger things do happen!

Ill also look at all other things noted....do these skis have a tendancy to lose fuel psi from the pump starting to fail?

No, the fuel pump is not known to fail or lose pressure on that ski.
    However, there are 2 filters; one on the bottom "serviceable" aka sock filter and an inline built-in "un-serviceable" filter inside the housing which you can see. But they would not clog up in 51 hours if clean fuel is have been used.
    Since you bought an used ski, who knows.

Thread Information