Thumbs up Line2Line Coatings piston coating

Hey everybody,
    I decided to do a winter build on my 1988 650sx which was bone stock. So naturally i ditched the 28mm carb for a 44sbn, intake, pipe, waterbox, etc, etc. I did a compression check at the end of the season to see if i should just tear into the motor as well. Sure enough... 115psi both holes. So I pulled the engine apart and started to look for pistons. I did some research to see if i could make the engine/pistons fairly bulletproof now that its been modified. I stumbled upon the idea of piston coatings and found out there was a place called Line2Line Coatings that was like 20 minutes from my house. So... I drove up there with my pistons and cylinder and talked to them about their coatings and what they do.
    Their process is called Abradable Powdercoating. What they do is coat your pistons new OR used to the clearance you have now, Ie; zero clearance. Hence "line 2 line." You start by heat cycling the engine and warming it more and more. Each time you do it a little bit of the coating wears away until it forms the perfect oil film and then the wear stops. The coating basically machines itself to a perfect fit and then lasts essentially forever. So i had them coat my pistons and the best part is i re-used my used pistons!
    All of this happened during the winter so when i got it all back together in march i was ready to fire it up. I did the heat cycling on a garden hose since the lake was still a bit... chilly. I followed their instructions and warmed it up and cooled it like 5 times getting progressively up to operating temp. After break in the compression was back up to 155psi in both cylinders!
    I pulled the jug off just to see if any coating was left this weekend because i ran it really hard and i was bored...and to my amazement, it was still like brand new. No metal showing through, nothing just black slippery coating. It went back together and fit just like when i built it.
    Im thoroughly impressed and i would recommend this to anyone doing a rebuild or building for performance because it apparently can and will last forever.

Here's their site ---> www.line2linecoatings.com

+1
    Guess I don't understand. Your pistons shouldn't contact the cylinder, that's what the rings do.

The pistons dont contact the cylinder walls... the coating does. Thats what I was thinking at first too. But the fact that the coating contacts the walls is what enables it to "wear" to the perfect fit then the oil film gets up in there and allows the piston to glide on a "magic carpet" of oil. (as per their site :P )

+1
    More contact, even with an oil film, means more friction.

About the only 'improvement' I can see is if you overheat it you might have a slightly lower chance of seizing it or damaging a cylinder if it does seize.

Well, all i know is it makes more power and winds up quicker vs my stock uncoated pistons. (and yes i had them coated before i did any modding to my stock ski.)

+1
    Maybe it works. Just trying to figure out why.

I use Blue Marble oil because they claimed performance increases--and I saw a 1.5 - 2 MPH gain on my 150.

I know it works lol. I found this on their site too... http://line2linecoatings.com/techpiston.html

Thread Information