Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 Waveventure 700 stock carbs

So I picked up a 96 waveventure 700 that's been in my family since 99. Hasn't been run in prolly 6-7 years. Drained the oil and gas, and switched to premix. Only reason as I don't wanna go through the whole oil injection system and spend $300+ and still have that failure point. Anywho compression was done 9 years ago, but only 6.5 hours ago and both cylinders were spot on at 150psi. I ordered a stock carb rebuild kit from Boats.net and installed all the parts that came with it. Put the high/low speed settings on both carbs to stock(AFAIK). Put the carbs back in and she fired right up after giving her some gas. Ran like pure hell, but idled and didn't shut off.

Ok so now on to the questions. I have a buddy that knows WAYYYYYYYY more than I do about skis, and is an avid SeaDoo guy. I don't know jack about these things, but I'm fairly mechanical. Basically enough to get myself in trouble. Anywho....... He asked if I tested the pop off pressure.......hmmm no I didn't. So pulled off the carbs, fashioned a pop off pressure gauge with parts from lowes and decided to give the carb without the fuel pump the first test. It tested pretty high ~55psi a couple of times. I didn't really put too much effort into it as I was really just validating that it(pop off guage) worked to some extent.

So needle and seat were 1.5 and for the life of me can't remember what color the spring was. I can take it apart again as that won't take much effort, but what color SHOULD the stock springs be? They weren't part of the kit so I just cleaned up and reused what was there.

another question...... MAG and PTO..... One is rear and one is front. Ok I get that, but front while you're on the ski, front based on where the fuel first comes in? What constitutes front? Sounds really retarded and basic question, but if you get that wrong.....wellllllll you're screwed from the jump. I did search and didn't come up with much. Feel free to haze me as being the newb......I'm not new to web forums.

+1
    Mag is front, pto is rear, as you are sitting in the ski.

+1
    MAG stand for Magneto...ie the the generator and ignition system. On our ski's its also called the stator and its inside the front cover.
    PTO stands for Power Take Off...ie the the coupler end where it transmits power to the jetpump.

That's what I assumed. Stock spring color is gold and pop off pressure 55psi. Both carbs are spot on. Now all that's left is compression test on the motor and getting the carbs dialed in. Gonna hold off for my buddies help with that. Think i've waffled my way far enough.

Look forward to sticking around and soaking in some knowledge.

+1
    This place is great for knowledge if you want it. Just takes some searching, some reading, and asking questions to help back up what you think you know or don't quite understand.

Figured I might as well post this here since I was looking for help.

Welp she's all fixed. Spent the weekend at the lake and she worked great. Thanks to Mpower for helping getting the carbs dialed in.

Ready to head to the lake.

Got the carbs adjusted and put her in the lake. Rode over to the dock.

Heading out to ride the skis and see how she does. Mpower on his restored XP.

Other buddy with us, and we're off after this. Put down the phone and did some riding.

Ride went flawless and up on the dock where she'd sleep for the weekend.

View from dinner.

Next morning up bright and early.

Back home all cleaned up and ready to be tucked back in the garage.

Adjusted the idle just a smidge more when I got home and she's purring like a kitten.....more like a lion cause this things shakes like a sum bish. lol

Changed out the plugs to the new ones I had. Didn't want to put the new ones in until we got the carbs dialed in so I didn't foul them.

+1
    Looks like you have a nice calm lake to ride on. That's a clean looking ski btw.

it was calm there in the cove. Once you get further into the larger portion of the lake it gets chopped up pretty bad. It looked a lot worse before I got ahold of it. I have a lake that's a mile from my house that's pretty calm though. This one was at a buddy's lake house.

Some of the before pics
    The mats are beyond repair and were less than $100 for a new kit.
    Before

Removed.

removing old gas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1340056316166.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	281153

Right side done.

Other side all cleaned up.

pics are kinda fuzzy since I had to contort myself all over the place to take them.

Carb one all clean.

Other side of carb one.

First carb is all put back together. Second carb partly taken apart and it looks really bad.

so looks like this one may be the culprit. Internals don't look too bad though. Diaphragm was pretty perished.

Prepped for a quick coat of paint

Removed the oil injection system to eliminate a failure point.

plugged the oil line and put a cap on it so I can use it as a way to mix the oil and gas if I need to fill up on the water.

Carbs all painted up and ready to go back in.

Carbs put back in.

also found out when we had some head work done they broke a bolt and used a cheap suck bolt dammit.

all done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information