Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'95 sl750 fuel issues after overturn

This is th first season in a few this ski has been out, it wasn't stored as it should have been, gas was left in and such. Nonetheless, this was about the 10th time I had been out with it this season without issue, been running flawlessly.
    I flipped her over, righted it in the correct direction and gave it a few minutes before attempting to start it again. Since then it has been tough to start and tougher to keep running, typically if I get it going I can hold it around 1500-1800 rpm but no more, however if i play with the choke just right it'll run fine for a few seconds then die..

I was thinking maybe water in fuel or spark issue.. i cleared all fuel lines and the fuel filter of fuel that was in them. At the pump it took as much as it should have so i don't believe it brought on water. I took out all plugs, correctly gapped, new at beginning of season, they are all a very nice chocolate brown.

It will run on ether (starting fluid) and can get it going on the trailer (no load). Is the fuel pump dead? are there any other issues I should lok at or ways to test the fuel pump being dead?
    also if it is the fuel pump (original 2 outlet) can someone give me art #'s for the 2 and the 3 outlet pumps? Thanks everyone.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Need to get it running in case there is water in the block.

Water in the block might also cause a problem with the pulse line that makes the fuel pump work.

Roll it over and pull all the plugs and turn it over some and see if there is any more water in there.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Crank the engine with all the spark plugs out. Does any water spray up from the spark plug holes?

Check compression.

If there was water in the engine when you cranked it the first time after righting it then you may have damaged the engine internally.

Also check for broken intake reeds.

Water in the fuel does not mean gallons of water in the fuel tank. It does not take very much water to contaminate the fuel tank.

I've ran the ski since I flipped it, it'll start okay on a trailer, but is kind of gutless, it's not a smooth rev, and if the throttle is opened any more than 5% or so it'll stumble, as if it's getting much more air than the fuel can burn..
    Directly after I flipped it, it did run, just not well.
    I can check for broken reeds, I just don't want to have to completely flush the fuel system, as it's completely full.
    I'm thinking it's pretty easy to test one of these fuel pumps, it should pump while cranking correct? I can just unhook an output line and hook up another line to run it to ground and try to crank it over.

I really don't think there's any serious damage, as cranking was never slowed by any restriction(i.e. water filling a cylinder.)

+1
    Did you empty out the water trap for fuel? You may want to disassemble the fuel pump to make sure there is no moisture in it. If your gas tank is full, hold a bright light to the side of the fuel tank to see if you can see water floating on the top of the gas.

Water trap? I made it to the flow in line to the fuel pump, and pulled that line at the bottom of the pump to drain, but no further.
    It doesn't seem like there is any water in the fuel-water separator.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Did you empty out the water trap for fuel? You may want to disassemble the fuel pump to make sure there is no moisture in it. If your gas tank is full, hold a bright light to the side of the fuel tank to see if you can see water floating on the top of the gas.
    Da waterz...eet sinkz in da gaz, yez?

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    Yes, water is more dense than fuel.

+1
    Noooooo, the gas foats on the water.

+1
    Sorry I goofed, I meant the opposite, when you look at the water trap(fuel water seperator) the little orange thing is 'floating'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information