Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 virage help

Hi everyone. Am a newbie here. heard this was best place for Polaris info. Have a 2000 virage that is hitting the rev limiter. Through some investigation found that all reverse wiring has been removed. The harness is from a 2001 1200 pro.(called parts dept. to verify part #'s.). Have no idea what cdi is in it, part # does not cross 4010381. The ski thinks it's either in reverse or hot. The wire in the harness that goes to the temp sensor(tan) is attached to the reverse wire(gray/red strip)and goes to display and to cdi box and is not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me how to fool computer with resistors or tell me what electronics box 4010381 came from so I can get a wiring diagram. (and no I did not do all this).

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Dont fully understand what you are saying, But from what I gather, it is wired correctly. The simple test is to remove the grey wire from the circuit board to CDI and if the problem goes away, then you know it is hot or reverse. It sounds like you may have already done this. The next step would be to pull the tan wire from the circuit boatd to remove the possibility of an issue with the temp sensor or temp portion of the MFD. If the problem goes away, its the MFD or temp sensor. If not, it is the reverse wirirng or the reverse portion of the MFD.

Below is are the diagrams for a 01 Pro 1200 and an 01 Virage TX. Should be enough info there to help you figure it out. Let us know if we can help further.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01Pro1200.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	278266

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01VirageTX.jpg 
Views:	1063 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	278267

the gray and the tan wire are connected from the computer to the mag harness. Also there is no reverse anything, no wire no switch, no resistor. Not even a place to put resister in cdi box. also no place for resistor for tan (temp) wire. Someone really did a number on these wires and the ski is really in great shape.

Also forgot you probably know ski is a 700.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    There are no resistors, this is all basic switching. When you put it in reverse, it grounds the wire and limits the RPM. If there is no switch or wiring, then there is no way it could be limiting.

Follow the test procedure I posted and follow the diagram. It will tell you if it is RPM limited, and if so, where the problem is.

That is a problem. There are no wires on circuit board except orange(bilge) and power( red/purple strip). The reverse wire is connected to the temp wire in the harness up in front by the mag. Continues to display. Other end was laying in Cdi box not connected and no were to connect it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The wire harness came from a Pro 1200? Was the wire harness modified to work on the Virage?

Going from memory, the connector pin out for a Virage MFI display is different from the pinout for an oval MFD display.
    Edit: Perhaps I am confusing this with the MSX display connector

Check what wire colors are going to which pin numbers on the display connector. There are tiny numbers on the back of the wire harness connector.

See the MFD section from my signature links for more info.

Yes it had to be mod. Polaris wouldn't have connected 2 different wire colors together. That is the case. Also on the display connector, It is the same as the virage diagram u posted above except 1 wire missing. In the top row I have a wire in top left and top right with 4 open between. All colors r correct per the diagram. Am just missing that 1. To clarify the wires connected together r the tan and gray/red. Covered with heat shrink
    And go to display on tan. Other end just hanging in elec. box.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Connector pin numbers work better for me when checking what is supposed to be connected to what.

I am traveling today so I don't have time to cross check the wire colors right now and do not have a wire harness handy to look at.

here is list of pin #'s and colors in the connector in the display harness:
    1- violet/white stripe
    2-red/purple stripe
    3-black
    4-open
    5-pink
    6-gray
    7-tan
    8-open
    9-open
    10-open
    11-open
    12-yellow
    from everything I have read i'm missing the reverse sense wire gray/purple stripe in #11 spot. Anyway right now there is nothing connected for reverse or temp warning. The reverse is not a problem unless the electronics box is looking for it. There is no reverse switch or wiring, it has been completely removed. Understand the travel thing. Whatever help u can give me and whenever is appreciated. THANKS!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information