Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

High Jumps, taking in water!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salto1.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	278273

Finally the surf was a bit up so we decided to go jumping. Since waves were not that big, in other to get a decent jump, i had to wait until the last posible second before the wave breaks to get some air, with ment that the jumping angle was nearly 90 degrees and the bike jump totally up and not much foward, landing very steep on its ass. This is good since the landing is soft, but with less hull resitance against the water at landing, it also ment that the bike went all the way into the sea (landing totally on its ass it went in all the way to the nose included). Once i was almost washed away since the bike and miself were underwater and surfaced back in diferent places). After a couple of these jumps, I felt the bike heavy, so i aborted back to shore, thinking the carbon seal gave up. The engine bay was at least 1/3 filled with water. After initial inspection, nothing is broken, carbon seal and engine mounts are ok! So we think that the water came in throu the hull vents. Since jumps were consecutive, i think i didnt give the oem water removers enough time between jumps to clear the amount of water coming in after each landing. If that is the case, will a rule pump solve the problem? And of that capacity? Attached pig of one of the medium jumps.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    If you are sure you have no other water ingress points and are jumping like this you can seal the air vent up that is under the the back seat catch. Having done this you will need to find another way of getting air into thr inside of the hull for the engine to breath. this can be done by modding the tunnel under where the front part of the seat sits, on the other-side to where the reverse handle is.
    As a must, install a pair of 500 or pref 750 automatic rule pumps, they will save you ski one day for sure. I jump a lot and take chances so have three installed and am considering a forth! you can never pump water out quick enough in my opinion and the more pumps you have the more time you have to return to shore and save your ski.

+1
    Thanks. I will look into posible hull breathing mods. My mechanic is taking the craft apart to be shure everything is ok, and to give it a good clean. So far, carbon seal looks good, it has less that 10 hours, and was replaced as a precaution, since the initial one had over 50 hours. Engine mounts are oem and the original ones, with over 50 jumping hours on them (the first 40 hours were smaller jumps). Would a couple of rule fully automatic 1000 gph pumps fit (or are they 1100 gph, not sure)? Also any aditional mods recomended? hull reinforcement? racing engine mounts?

+1
    what model ski is it?

+1
    Its a RXP-X 2011, (4" Kanaflex, Rear exhaust, intercooler relocation, R&D intake grate, Mod Riva OPAS blockoff, lowered sponsons), with around 50 hours.

+1
    +100 on TWO 1000 gph bilge pumps

+1
    Where should de bilge pumps be located? Presume that towards the back of the craft, but is there a better place? Near the drive shaft? If anyone could provide some pics, it would be very helpfull. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Fosca View Post
    Where should de bilge pumps be located? Presume that towards the back of the craft, but is there a better place? Near the drive shaft? If anyone could provide some pics, it would be very helpfull. Thanks.
    This thread is full of pics and ideas from several different models http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79658

+1
    Thanks. Getting into it. Will see how the next jumping session goes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Fosca View Post
    Thanks. Getting into it. Will see how the next jumping session goes.
    Post some more photos later. Look like a sweet swell with the right condition. Is that a reef in the back ground? I was looking at La Herradura on google earth and looks nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information