ride plate confusion

I have two gp 800's one is a 1998 and one is a 2000. The 2000 has a short factory ride plate, the 98 has a ride plate 4 inches longer that I believe is factory. The 2000 with the short ride plate rides much smoother on light chop water than the one with the longer ride plate. My understanding is that a longer ride plate is supposed to ride smoother than a short plate. I reached this conclusion by comparing after market ride plates and all the ones I looked at where longer than the short factory ride plate. Am I missing something in my conclusion. I am more interested in a good ride than a couple of miles an hour. From you guys that have been doing this for a while which ride plate gives the best results for my purpose and could the one with the longer ride plate have some other issue causing it to ride so much rougher. Thanks for the information I have recieved on previous posts, it has really helped me solve problems I couldn't get information on anywhere else.

+1
    Longer plates ride better on the GP hull, but there can be other factors.

+1
    The 98 gp800 porpoised real bad and got a lot of complaints so for 99 yamaha did some changes underneath to make it better.the long plate most likely is off a 97 gp1200,which was a cheap common fix and people would use washers to shim the rear of the plate down to force the front end of the ski down.I have the 97 gp1200 plate on mine which helped but it still bounces a little and its worse with a passenger.mine when the speedo gets around 62 in a silght chop starts to bounce and I have to let off.another thing I learned is just to play around with the trim,if I'm cruising across the lake at 40 and it starts to bounce and have the trim in the middle seems to smooth it out.I think I'm going to go with an r&d plate,it seems to have the best overall feedback,stay away from the short riva groovy plate it ain't even worth its weight in scrap. Also try adjusting the sponsons on the sides all the way down that should help

+1
    If you Google gp800 porposing you will find a lot of info about the complaints and what people have done to help stop it .

Thanks silvercrxsir , from all the info I have been able to find you are exactly right about the cure. Now I will start experimenting with how much to shim the plate and adjust the the sponsons all the way down and see what happens. Do you have any suggestions on how much to shim the plate?

+1
    I haven't played with shims,I think I'm just gonna order an r&d plate and see how that works.what I would do in your case is switch out the rideplates real quick and see how the longer one works on the 98 and if it helps I would order one off ebay since they are real cheap.the 97 gp1200 factory plate is the long one.I have a riva intake on mine and a Solas prop which also seemed to help.I know the 98 and 00 have slightly diff hulls so the 98 is prob gonna take more tweaking to fix the problem

Thread Information