Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

carb removal on xl800

Are there any very detailed write ups on here or anywhere on the net, preferrably with photos of carb removal for a 2000 xl800? I am very well versed in mechanical work but i am just now getting into/ leraning two stroke. My throttle has been beginning to stick, so i am wanting to get the carbs out to shave down the throttle shaft

+1
    You gotta pull the stinger pipe,once that's off you can access the carbs,since your pulling them you might as well go through and clean and rebuild them if it hasn't been done in a long time and use only mikuni kits.both carbs will come off at the same time with the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    You gotta pull the stinger pipe,once that's off you can access the carbs,since your pulling them you might as well go through and clean and rebuild them if it hasn't been done in a long time and use only mikuni kits.both carbs will come off at the same time with the manifold.
    yea, i saw the stinger pipe comes off, but i am having trouble figuring out what is all mounting the stinger pipe down. I tried following a gp1200 detailed writeup, but it called for removal of hardware and disconnections of electrical harnesses that i did not see on my 00 xl800...I guess if there is no written guidance i will just have to take my time to remove the stinger. Does the stinger disconnect from the downpipe looking pipe?, or does this all come off in one piece?

+1
    The stinger comes off seperately there should be 4 bolts on the top that hold the brackets to the cyl head,and if you look straight down there should be 2 bolts that hold it to the cyl.you gotta 2 hose clamps that hold the rubber coupled to the header and if you slide that over there are 2 more clamps that hold the rubber coupled inside there,there is also a bolt that is on the back of the stinger towards the bottom and a clamp that connects it to the waterbox.once the stinger is off there are 4 10mm, long bolts on the front of the carb and 2 Allen bolts inbetween the carbs,and then it should pull right off as an assembly.I forgot you gotta pull the airbox first.just make sure you replace the gaskets,the manual says they aren't reusable

Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    The stinger comes off seperately there should be 4 bolts on the top that hold the brackets to the cyl head,and if you look straight down there should be 2 bolts that hold it to the cyl.you gotta 2 hose clamps that hold the rubber coupled to the header and if you slide that over there are 2 more clamps that hold the rubber coupled inside there,there is also a bolt that is on the back of the stinger towards the bottom and a clamp that connects it to the waterbox.once the stinger is off there are 4 10mm, long bolts on the front of the carb and 2 Allen bolts inbetween the carbs,and then it should pull right off as an assembly.I forgot you gotta pull the airbox first.just make sure you replace the gaskets,the manual says they aren't reusable

Cool, cool, thanks and replace the carb gaskets correct?, also the elctrical box is confusing the mess out of me, does it come out with the stinger or is it removed.

+1
    The electerical box shouldn't have to be touched,but I can't say so cause my gp800 is a little diff and I have never looked at an xl800 and I would replace the carb base gaskets and the manifold gaskets,you could prob reuse them,but for all the trouble they are to change your better of using new ones.also make sure you don't over tighten the long carb bolts,I had an issue with a sticky throttle and as soon as I broke the bolts loose the throttle worked fine.also use blue loctite when reassembling.another trick is to go on eBay and find similar parts and study the various photos and you can get an idea where all the mounting points are

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    You can just look up the carb parts imagines at places like boats.net for your model. You can see pretty much what has to be done rathan scanning ebay for parts.

carbs are about off, ive got to go buy hex t handles today...one last question, will i need a whole intake gasket set from sbt or just carb to manifold and carb base gaskets?....same question for my 97 gp760, what gaskets? I will be getting to that one after im done with my xl800

+1
    It's prob easier and cheaper to get the kit,it comes with both carb base gaskets and the manifold gasket and 2 o rings for the airbox

+1
    If you don't have long enough allen wrenches or the right size allen socket a torx socket will work in a pinch. I can't remember the size maybe a t-30 or 35. I know it's not the right tool but it does work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information