Which 4 storke Ski to go with?

I have been reading the forum alot lately but i still cannot decide between VX or FX HO. I am looking to get a 4 stroke Yammie. We ride mostly on the beach and intercoastal. We have not been jumping waves but we are in salt water mostly. I have found great deals on VX Yammies 07-2010 but i really like the FX model 2005-2008 are the FX i have seen on craigslist mostly with a fair price. It just seems to me that the VX is underpowered and I feel like the FX HO that comes with the bigger engine and more power would suit me better for some reason. Which do you prefer? educate me please on these models. I am not looking for brand new ones because I do not have the much cash to spend on the Ski.

Thanks in advance for all the responses on this great forum.

+1
    I would definetly go with the FX HO. The last thing you want to do is buy a used ski and be disapointed in its performance when you could have spent a little more and got a faster, better ski. If it's between a VX and FX HO, get the FX HO if you can afford it.

+1
    In 2004 I purchased a brand new Seadoo RXP. I kept the ski for 2 summers and absolutely loved it, however, when my friends were no longer available to ride with I decided to sell it. At the beginning of this year (2012), I was bitten by the pwc bug yet again and I began searching. After doing quite a bit of research I decided that Yamaha was the only brand for me. I came to this decision because just about everything I've read about Yamaha's states that they're the most reliable ski out there. Sea doo on the otherhand, while they can in some instances be quite reliable, fast and pretty, have issues with the superchargers (pre 2008 models using ceramic washers, if i remember correctly). Seeing that it was going to be the first time that my fiance was ever on a ski, I knew that it would taint my future in pwc's if we were in the middle of the lake and lost the bearings in the supercharger forcing us to flag for help and then get towed back to shore. The Yamaha that I settled on is a 2006 FX HO. I chose it because I loved the fact that it is NA and also has the ability to seat 3 adults or pull a large tube. After purchasing the ski, I installed the R&D velocity stack and air filter, a Riva free flow exhaust and a Solas yg-df 14/20 impeller with a new pump housing (wear ring). The ski goes EXCELLENT and I have never thought twice about my decision to purchase it. The ski is incredibly stable with 1 or 2 passengers, and not bad at all with 3. I will say, I have had about 675 pounds on the ski and at that point it begins to feel a bit unstable. But with myself @ 250 lbs, my fiance and her friend, the ski is a joy to ride with absolutely no instability. When pulling a tube with 230 lbs on it the ski performs great; it gets the tube out of the water in a matter of seconds and doesn't get yanked around by the tube at all. All in all, I have become a firm believer in Yamaha PWC's and won't own anything else. Go with the FX HO, they're such a nice ski, super reliable, fast on take off for an NA, stable, comfortable, and with 3 passengers the rear doesn't even come close to sinking below the water line (piece of mind for my fiance, lol). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FXHO 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	278331
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FXHO 2 (2).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	278332  

You guys rock! Thank you so much for going into details. Yep FX HO is what I will go with. I just dont think I would be happy with the VX model. Thanks again now the searching starts. So What hours should i be ok with ? and what should I look for when inspect FX HO 2006 and up.

+1
    It's hard to say how many hours so you should mostly be looking at the condition of the ski inside and out. This will tell you if the owner took care of it or not. Look all around inside the engine bay to look for signs of corrosion. I would be more suspect of an older ski with very low hours because that means it has been sitting unused which is never a good thing for a PWC.

Definetly have a compression check done and take it for a test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    It's hard to say how many hours so you should mostly be looking at the condition of the ski inside and out. This will tell you if the owner took care of it or not. Look all around inside the engine bay to look for signs of corrosion. I would be more suspect of an older ski with very low hours because that means it has been sitting unused which is never a good thing for a PWC.

Definetly have a compression check done and take it for a test ride.

Thank you speed!

+1
    No problem...The fact that it's NA, not supercharged is also a positive thing when buying used. Good look in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    No problem...The fact that it's NA, not supercharged is also a positive thing when buying used. Good look in your search!
    Yep I agree, I do not want the supercharged one. I am NA guy

Thread Information