Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Ultra 150 only doing 4000rpm 40mph on water. Please help.

Just bought this ultra 150 last week. Took it out on the water and the first run I got up to 51mph. The second run I hit 65mph and after that the ski wouldn't go over 4,000 rpm or 40mph. Any ideas on what the problem could be. This all happened within a 15 minute period of time and I brought the ski in to avoid causing any problem. Now that the ski is out of the water I put some fresh 93 octane gas in there and it is revving all the way out to where it should but I have a feeling something still isn't right. I plan on water testing it in a day or so. Any ideas on what I should begin to check out?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by cjelley View Post
    Just bought this ultra 150 last week. Took it out on the water and the first run I got up to 51mph. The second run I hit 65mph and after that the ski wouldn't go over 4,000 rpm or 40mph. Any ideas on what the problem could be. This all happened within a 15 minute period of time and I brought the ski in to avoid causing any problem. Now that the ski is out of the water I put some fresh 93 octane gas in there and it is revving all the way out to where it should but I have a feeling something still isn't right. I plan on water testing it in a day or so. Any ideas on what I should begin to check out?

Thanks in advance!
    Check for debris in the pump. Check fuel filter. Ive had this happen on my jet boat in the past...eventually the problem fixed itself. I am assuming something was lodged in the pump that wouldn't allow it to rev

Quote Originally Posted by big_c View Post
    Check for debris in the pump. Check fuel filter. Ive had this happen on my jet boat in the past...eventually the problem fixed itself. I am assuming something was lodged in the pump that wouldn't allow it to rev
    Ran a compression test front cylinder only had 40psi, the two other cylinders had 110psi. I pulled the head off the cylinder was in perfect shape but the head gasket was blown out. Do you think ordering a new gaske set will solve the problem?

Any ideas on if this will help and any ideas what caused the head gasket to split?

Weird, never heard of a head gasket blowing.

+1
    Thank your lucky stars and everything else that it's "only" a head gasket leak. Put a new head gasket on and try it.

+1
    Check the cylinder head & brass fitting for blockage. Check the head to make sure it's flat.

Install the triple pisser mod so you can monitor water flow from all three cylinders.

Thanks for the input so far, I changed out the head gasket just now. Now a new problem arises. I put a brand new battery in which is the correct battery as well and the jet ski is cranking very slow...Any ideas on what might cause this? Now it wont even start

+1
    Measure the battery voltage, should be about 12.6 volts or so. Look for loose connections on the battery cables (both ends).

Was the cylinder wall in good shape when you took the head off?

+1
    I hope this is not my old cursed 99 ultra 150...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information