advise on buying a new Sea-doo

Well I was originally shopping used, but the wife and I decided new would be better for us since this will be our first ski, and my wife really liked the brake on the new ones. We don't need a SC ski. I'm thinking the GTI 130 SE would be good for a first ski.

We basically will be ridding on large lakes in TX for recreation. We will probably pull a tube, and maybe if it's able to pull my son on a wake board or skis. He's around 130 lbs I figure 130hp will be plenty to pull him around. Even though a boat with less hp could pull an adult would a ski be able to pull an adult?

Also how long does a full tank last... I know it's dependent on ride style, but on average how many hours you get out of a tank on sport setting.

Are there any known issues or things the dealer might not tell you, because they want to service the ski on a more regular bases. (I have trust issues with dealers)

If anyone has purchased one of these recently how much did you pay and did you get anything tossed in as a package... trailer, vests, etc.

Thank you very much for the info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
    Well I was originally shopping used, but the wife and I decided new would be better for us since this will be our first ski, and my wife really liked the brake on the new ones. We don't need a SC ski. I'm thinking the GTI 130 SE would be good for a first ski.

We basically will be ridding on large lakes in TX for recreation. We will probably pull a tube, and maybe if it's able to pull my son on a wake board or skis. He's around 130 lbs I figure 130hp will be plenty to pull him around. Even though a boat with less hp could pull an adult would a ski be able to pull an adult?

Also how long does a full tank last... I know it's dependent on ride style, but on average how many hours you get out of a tank on sport setting.

Are there any known issues or things the dealer might not tell you, because they want to service the ski on a more regular bases. (I have trust issues with dealers)

If anyone has purchased one of these recently how much did you pay and did you get anything tossed in as a package... trailer, vests, etc.

There are guys on here pulling 2 and 3 adults on three rider tubes. So your 130lb son should be a piece of cake.
    On sport mode, riding pretty hard, don't expect a tank to last more than 2-3 hours. I think I paid like $10K with a Sea Doo brand trailer out the door. That was about 3 months ago.

No real issues to be concerned with on any of the 130's. Just maintenance and break them in properly and they'll last a LONG time.

cool thanks,

I'm trying to take in as much info as possible before I make the plunge, I like to have my research done before I go in so I know if I'm getting BS from the dealer.

+1

my friend got the gti se130, payed ~12000$ canadian without a trailler, what he got was the cover, 2 vests, a safety kit, an anchor, extinguisher. maybe something else that i might be missing...

as far as pulling a tuber/skier

well the wake 155 pulls a 240 pound wakeboarder easily.

as far as tubes go, it depends the tube, ive seen tubes the length of my challenger O___O
    which i doubt will be any fun to pull with a jetski...

as far as gas goes, expect a tank to last a good 4-5 hours until it beeps
    but at WOT id say closer to 2 hours...

as far as reliability, seadoo's are reliable, but theres always a bad machine in every brand you look in.

there aren't any "known" issues.

everything in life can break, and it really depends on your riding style on how long the ski will last.

if you end up starting it in shallow water, beaching it, tieing it up to the dock without the fenders, it will obviously look worse
    and break more often (like impeller or wear rings for example if you suck up rocks)

+1
    I would look in to the GTI SE 155, almost the same as the Wake version but cheaper. No need for the perfect pass and board rack if just starting out.

thanks for the advice. I'll have to see what difference the price is on the 155 vs the 130.

Shui thank you for the input that is very helpful.

Does anyone know if you need a spotter in Texas? I know in WA and OR you have to have a spotter with a flag. I haven't seen any flags flying here in TX, but not sure on the spotter part.

+1
    thanks for the advice. I'll have to see what difference the price is on the 155 vs the 130.

Shui thank you for the input that is very helpful.

Does anyone know if you need a spotter in Texas? I know in WA and OR you have to have a spotter with a flag. I haven't seen any flags flying here in TX, but not sure on the spotter part.
    From what I'm reading, as long as you have side view mirrors (all sea doo's do) then you do not need a spotter. So you should be good to go unless that law has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    From what I'm reading, as long as you have side view mirrors (all sea doo's do) then you do not need a spotter. So you should be good to go unless that law has changed.
    Yeah I finally found it on line. It says the mirror needs to be 4" by 4" I'm not sure the seadoo side mirrors are that big? guess I'll have to measure. It's not a huge issue I'll have 3 people with me most the time anyway, but my youngest is not old enough to be a legal spotter... but with him and the mirrors... that is probably good. he's big for a 9 year old so probably won't have any issues while pulling my oldr son on wake board or tube.

+1
    Ulrich,

The mirrors on our Doo's are too small to qualify, so you do need a spotter in Texas, to be legal........I pull 1-2 four man tubes all the time without a spotter....get it!

The best Texas dealer is Cowtown Power Sports in Fort Worth - period. http://www.cowtownpowersports.com/

I agree with the others - get the biggest HP ski you can afford for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Ulrich,

The mirrors on our Doo's are too small to qualify, so you do need a spotter in Texas, to be legal........I pull 1-2 four man tubes all the time without a spotter....get it!

The best Texas dealer is Cowtown Power Sports in Fort Worth - period. http://www.cowtownpowersports.com/

I agree with the others - get the biggest HP ski you can afford for many reasons.
    cool thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

Thread Information