1988 Yamaha WR500 - Ran Great Then Died (Need help interpret Troubleshooting Results)

Ran Great then went back to dock to start up and put on the trailer, and would not start at all. Got it home and found that I don't have ANY fire to the plugs. Checked the fuse in the CDI compartment and it is good. The kill switch checked to be good also.

Ok. I am attaching my test results from last night. I will also attach the actual print out of the service manual that I used as my guideline. It was not very detailed as to how to test everything, but told alot. I made some schematics on HOW I tested it, including my results. The reason I did that is because I want you guys to review it and tell me if I did everything correctly, tell me if my results look appropriate, and tell me what I might have done wrong or need to do in addition.

I will also attach a .pdf file of the entire Electrical System Section of my service manual although I didn't perform the tests on the other pages in this attachment. I am posting this ONLY if there is something there you guys think I might have done wrong, not checked, or a detail I might have missed.

Again, I'm VERY NEW to this stuff; so everyones input is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you all so much thus far!

My Testing Methods.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOC001_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	278366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOC001_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	278367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOC001_Page_3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	278368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOC001_Page_4.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	278369

All of this all happened about 2 years ago and it has been sitting in garage since.

TTT.......anyone have ANY input??

+1
    Looks like your charge coil is shot. I would test right a the black wire instead of going to the ground post but I think in this case the results would be the same or very similar. The charge coil test results explain why you have no spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Looks like your charge coil is shot. I would test right a the black wire instead of going to the ground post but I think in this case the results would be the same or very similar. The charge coil test results explain why you have no spark.

Thank you for the input Cutlass. That does make sense, however I replaced the CDI unit with another CDI I had on my other ski of the same type and age. When I installed it, the charge coil was reading around 96 ohms.....which tests to be good. My ski still will not run/start after I changed the CDI. No difference than it was before.

DId you notice the readings/results for the ignition coil? Are my results in the specified range, or would that mean it is bad also? I have been reading where those usually don't go bad and if they do, the readings will not be higher than the specs. Is this true?

+1
    The charge coil is in the stator assembly isn't it? Changing the CDI shouldn't change the charge coil reading.
    No, I didn't look closely at the ignition coil test. It looks like it also failed but some multimeters aren't really accurate for super low readings like that.

Thread Information