Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How To Remove 1992 SL650 Engine

Well I started to tear into my 1992 SL650 because of a cracked case from not being properly winterized. I've loosened the exhaust pipe but of course since there is a rib going through the middle of the hull 6" up I need to wait til the engine is pulled to get that out. I'm currently in the process of loosening the drive coupler with old style harmonic balancer but just can't get the sucker off. I've been trying with the pto rope trick and a huge wrench with a 4 foot extented pipe but just can't get it to budge. I could try heat but would risk melting the rubber piece contacting the drive shaft off the end of the coupler.

I noticed there is a roll pin on the collar of the balancer.... does this need to be dilled out to get this off?

The newer models don't have this harmonic balancer so once I get this sucker off do I need to put it back on or can I use just the coupler from the crank to the drive shaft? 92 - 94's use the same drive shaft (I Think)

+1
    To remove the engine you must remove the jet pump and pull the driveshaft out. That is the only way the motor comes out.

+1
    I have never had to take one of them off - Assume you are talking about one of these :Name:  140.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  3.6 KB

The other types have flat spots for a wrench, but should be interchangeable with your crank shaft....

Also see here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60847

Yep that would be it. Was used only on the early models. Well I was able to pull the engine out after pulling the pump. Pulling my 94 sl750 engine was a breeze compared to this 92 sl650 because there is a 6" center rib running through the hull not allowing me to pull the exhaust pipe out the front. The balancer is still on the crankshaft.... I had to torch it and use a 1 3/8" wrench with a 4' pipe over wrench to break it free. Turns out that pin that is in the Harmonica Balancer is a grease fitting after picking at it. Just recieved my gasket and seal kit today.....

Crank bearings, flyweel, stator, and reeds are all in great shape! Phew--- Put new crank seals in last night with handabond. Took 2hrs to line up engine on mounts in hull!

As for my cooling rail hose I have that black "pop off valve" inline but no thermostat housing. I noticed that some have it and others don't.

My question is do I need both the thermostat housing and the black pop off valve or 1 or the other?
    Last edited by triplekoin; 08-12-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black pop off valve.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	280306

Name:  Thermostat Housing.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  4.0 KB

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could you scan in that Polaris installation page and post it here?

I have never seen one of those inline valves from Polaris.

What is the extra brass nipple for on the thermostat housing?

found the pic off ebay don't have the instructions

check out the last post on this site

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/t32447/

this guy says to remove everything...

The thermostat is supposed to keep temp low during lower speeds

I ordered updated cooling rail with thermostat...but not sure about the black pop off valve...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by triplekoin View Post
    ... The thermostat is supposed to keep temp low during lower speeds...
    That sounds backwards.

Normally thermostats work to keep the engine temperature up and during low speed operation (when there is very little engine heat being produced) the thermostat responds by restricting water flow until the water gets warm enough to open the thermostat.

That said, the very early Fuji engines are not my thing, so perhaps I am mis-understanding how that system works.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Could you scan in that Polaris installation page and post it here?

I have never seen one of those inline valves from Polaris.

What is the extra brass nipple for on the thermostat housing?
    That stat housing is from a 93 650. The extra nipple is what feeds the water inlet at the top of the exhaust pipe. Based on the flow diagram, the exhaust pipe did not get cooling water until the Tstat opened up allowing water to flow to the exhaust pipe and out of the boat. The water rail flow straight to the rear and the stat housing is not bolted to the rail, but hangs free and is connected via hoses. I believe SBTs instructions to remove the thermostat and pop off valve to be opinion, while I know multiple members online here have done the same.

Not sure about the black pop off valve, but as it doesn't show up on their parts break outs, I don't think it is something that I would install.

Keith - I would agree with you re Tstats - Don't care what kind of motor we are talking about, everything I have ever dealt with utilized the Tstat to bring the motor up to proper operating temp, regardless of operating speed (cold water, etc).......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information