Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to us STX-15F

Hi All, I've been reading and researching the forums out there regarding purchasing a ski and I picked up a 2008 STX-15F w/79 hours on it today. It's our first ski so we are looking forward to it. Took it for a test ride and it went well. It had just been serviced by dealer (got receipt) so fresh plugs, oil etc. It does have an issue or two that I thought I'd see if I could get some insight on.

1. Speedo doesn't work. Eveything else in the cluster works - RPM, fuel, hours etc but showing no speed. I checked the wheel at the back and it spins freely, but does that sensor ever go bad or is there anything else I should look at?
    2. Under the 3rd seat storage compartment there are two hoses (breathers/vents - I imagine), one isn't hooked up to anything....should it be? See pic.
    3. The grip material at the back is starting to come up at the corners, is there a preferred adhesive that I should use to hold it down?
    4. I noticed some water in the hull (under the 3rd seat storage) and I assume that's normal but it just didn't get drained out at the ramp...see right?

Thanks a lot in advance...I'll do some more searching and see what I thought I'd come up with as well, but thought I'd ask and introduce myself anyway.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2a View Post
    1. Speedo doesn't work. Eveything else in the cluster works - RPM, fuel, hours etc but showing no speed. I checked the wheel at the back and it spins freely, but does that sensor ever go bad or is there anything else I should look at?
    Either bad dash meter or bad wire connection between the meter and the speedo sub-harness. Check the connector first which is around the water box area, toward the rear.

2. Under the 3rd seat storage compartment there are two hoses (breathers/vents - I imagine), one isn't hooked up to anything....should it be? See pic.
    That's an air intake duct for engine. Just position as the other one so you don't crush with the storage bucket when you put it back in.

3. The grip material at the back is starting to come up at the corners, is there a preferred adhesive that I should use to hold it down?
    I just use super-glue. Wipe off the excess gule that squeezes out. Then place a duct tape to hold the mat down. Before applying glue, make sure there is no sand, debris or moisture underneath. Blow out with compressed air.

4. I noticed some water in the hull (under the 3rd seat storage) and I assume that's normal but it just didn't get drained out at the ramp...see right?
    There should be no water inside the hull whatsoever. Either water is coming in from outside or you have an internal leak. Also, there is built-in siphon type bilge system on the ski that sucks out water whenever the engine is running. If you see still see water after riding, the actual leak might be significant. You need to take care of this leak issue ASAP.

Excellent info, thanks Meangreen...I'll check the leak issue first...the hull looks to be in great shape, but I'll check closer and see if I see anything and see if anything is left after next use.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Either bad dash meter or bad wire connection between the meter and the speedo sub-harness. Check the connector first which is around the water box area, toward the rear.

That's an air intake duct for engine. Just position as the other one so you don't crush with the storage bucket when you put it back in.

I just use super-glue. Wipe off the excess gule that squeezes out. Then place a duct tape to hold the mat down. Before applying glue, make sure there is no sand, debris or moisture underneath. Blow out with compressed air.

There should be no water inside the hull whatsoever. Either water is coming in from outside or you have an internal leak. Also, there is built-in siphon type bilge system on the ski that sucks out water whenever the engine is running. If you see still see water after riding, the actual leak might be significant. You need to take care of this leak issue ASAP.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I get a little water next to the through hull bearing after a ride but its just from splashing the siphons don't get all of it. You can check for leaks by filling the hull with water just to the level of the top of the bearing support (flat tan colored piece above the pump on the inside) if water leaks out of the hull you have a leak. Enjoy the ski, it looks really clean. They can be a blast if you take care of them.

Sean

Thanks...that's kind of what I have, there isn't much at all, but I did notice it when I was looking under the storage...I'm going to look it over, flush the system, wash it and inspect it closely and see what happens after the next/first ride which should be this weekend...
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    I get a little water next to the through hull bearing after a ride but its just from splashing the siphons don't get all of it. You can check for leaks by filling the hull with water just to the level of the top of the bearing support (flat tan colored piece above the pump on the inside) if water leaks out of the hull you have a leak. Enjoy the ski, it looks really clean. They can be a blast if you take care of them.

Sean

There are 3 ways (for 3 different types of leak) to check for water leak.

1. Fill the hull with water (like above suggestion). This would show a fault in hull.
    2. Run the ski on trailer with garden hose. This would show a fault in cooling system.
    3. Rund the ski 1/2 submerged at the ramp but still tied to the trailer with the seat off. This would show a fault in driveshaft carrier bearing/tunnel area which would leak only when pressurized.

Yea, I agree that the ski looks clean!

+1
    I have the same ski but mine is blue. They are great skis. Enjoy!

I just noticed that the battery is NOT an OEM type (YTX20).

IF it is a conventional fill-type or off brand, try getting a quality brand MF type next time like ones from Yuasa, DAKA, Oddysey, etc.

Ok...will definitely do that...I use Yuasa in my bike so I am familiar w/them. Actually in that pic you can see the water I was talking about. It's just the small amount in that channel...none on the port side...I flushed it and it didn't accumulate any more water....I'll see what happens after we take it out Saturday...thanks again for the responses. Always nice to read an active forum.
    Rob

The water in that center channel means usually the drive shaft tunnel related parts - use the testing method #3 I mentioned above.
    It can be as simple as loose clamp on the shaft tube (black rubber) or as complicated as the shaft carrier bearing & seal (engine has to be lifted in order to remove the drive shaft out so you can replace the carrier bearing & seal). But they usually go bad at about 200+ hrs. I know this because my buddy runs a rental shop that has 10+ 15F skis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information