Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Looking at a new 2011 300x... need all your help and advice here

I've went back and forth on the SHO's and ultra 300x.. and ran across this 2011 model and wanted to do some research..

i love what i hear about the handling on the 300x and acceleration... i'm also aware of the slight lean when in idle area due to the charger on the left..

i plan to leave ( if a buy it ) the jet ski 100% bone stock unless maybe an exhaust or intake... but if it will affect longevity i wont even do that... i will be using it at a lake for pleasure.. so its not gonna be wide open from start to finish... and i plan to maintain properly.. Are there any of these skis having any major problems if left stock? i dont wanna be in the shop or working on anything all the time.. i understand there's occasional problems but for the most part i want soemthing dependable in stock form...

Also, i have read in early models there is an issue with the impeller nut backing off? which shouldn't be a big deal i could check that myself and loctite it...

My main concern is, are these things holding up stock? Please be as honest as possible i'm looking to buy my first ski... i've rode them just never owned one...

Thanks in advance!

+1
    in all honesty the lean is BS not an issue to even write about, leave the exhaust and the intake no gains there. leave it stock and i gaurentee you will love it, they are equal to any other stock ski on the market to maintain.

+1
    nicjak thanks for the quick response... that gives me a little piece of mind.. ive read several threads you have posted in... great to hear from a reputable member!

what about the nut on the impeller deal are they hard to check and tighten?

+1
    very easy to check and tighten just need the correct prop spline tool. im sure you will get the haters here telling porkys i look after a stock one for my cuz apart from the delimiter and his ski is rock solid never touched apart from general maintenance.

+1
    thanks man.... i hope to get alot of hours out of one!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    in all honesty the lean is BS not an issue to even write about, leave the exhaust and the intake no gains there. leave it stock and i gaurentee you will love it, they are equal to any other stock ski on the market to maintain.
    I agree 100%
    You said 100% stock Except............. End your statement at 100% stock. Don't touch it and take care of your ski and it will take care of you.

Banned User
    +1
    I have not heard of a bone stock 300 that has failed yet. The loose impellers happen right away so it's ether tight or it's not. It really is a great ski if left alone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tommydale View Post
    I've went back and forth on the SHO's and ultra 300x.. and ran across this 2011 model and wanted to do some research..

i love what i hear about the handling on the 300x and acceleration... i'm also aware of the slight lean when in idle area due to the charger on the left..

i plan to leave ( if a buy it ) the jet ski 100% bone stock unless maybe an exhaust or intake... but if it will affect longevity i wont even do that... i will be using it at a lake for pleasure.. so its not gonna be wide open from start to finish... and i plan to maintain properly.. Are there any of these skis having any major problems if left stock? i dont wanna be in the shop or working on anything all the time.. i understand there's occasional problems but for the most part i want soemthing dependable in stock form...

Also, i have read in early models there is an issue with the impeller nut backing off? which shouldn't be a big deal i could check that myself and loctite it...

My main concern is, are these things holding up stock? Please be as honest as possible i'm looking to buy my first ski... i've rode them just never owned one...

Thanks in advance!
    Allow me to offer a bit of a different perspective...

My ski only has 75 hours on it- so I really don't know how well it will hold up. There are not many 300's around here that have surpassed the 100 hr. mark yet- I personally would not make a call on reliability yet.

I have had a few minor problems with mine... and one not so minor, which was a broken SC housing.

I feel that the 300 requires more attention to maintenance than any ski I have owned to date... do particular research on the topics of:

1- exhaust filter inspection/replacement maintenance

2- Intercooler cleaning and maintenance

3- the importance of keeping the waterbox/exhaust dry (what you must do to insure it is and what could happen if you don't)

4- consider the importance of fuel requirements carefully... the 300 is very finicky in this area (also pretty thirsty- I find about 20% thirstier than a 260 PX)

5- pretty frequent oil changes (Kawi recommends 25 hrs.)

Again, this reflects my personal experience only, but I do own one and have watched it carefully mature to 75 on the hour meter. I do like the ski- but I did not like it enough purchase a second one when I had the chance... I went with the PX instead. We shall see how that decision pans out for me...

Now... let the flaming begin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post

I have had a few minor problems with mine... and one not so minor, which was a broken SC housing.

3- the importance of keeping the waterbox/exhaust dry (what you must do to insure it is and what could happen if you don't)

5- pretty frequent oil changes (Kawi recommends 25 hrs.)
    Questions:

> Didn't you post that you do wave jumping in ocean with your ski?

> What bad things would happen if you leave water in the 300X water box?

> Any idea what other brand supercharged skis' recommended oil change interval would be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Questions:

> Didn't you post that you do wave jumping in ocean with your ski?

No, no wave jumping with my 300.

> What bad things would happen if you leave water in the 300X water box?

Rusty valves, siezed spark plugs, rotted exhaust filters.

> Any idea what other brand supercharged skis' recommended oil change interval would be?
    Sure, on my '12 PX the book says after the first one (25 hrs.) every 100 hrs. or 1 year.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information