Thread: New motor in xp

New motor in xp

Just put new motor in 97 xp (its an sbt engine) I know many people have had problems with these engines but I wanted to know whats the proper way to break in the 787. I went through it all and replaced hoses and rebuilt carbs. Any input helps,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rotaryfc View Post
    Just put new motor in 97 xp (its an sbt engine) I know many people have had problems with these engines but I wanted to know whats the proper way to break in the 787. I went through it all and replaced hoses and rebuilt carbs. Any input helps,thanks
    warm it up, check for leaks and feel if it is running right after the carb rebuild. after a good warm up, get the ski up on plane and vary throttle but keep it under 5K rpm for the first 20 minutes or so... shut the ski down and let cool for 15-20 minutes, this is an opportunity to feel the head and pipes, and look around for any issues.
    refire the ski and run a little harder, bring it up to 6K rpms and vary the throttle, a few short 5-10 sec bursts of wot is OK, don`t really keep the throttle at any one cruising speed just yet.
    run for another 20 minutes and let her cool down again, check things out again...
    after your rest period, refire and start to stretch it out by getting on the throttle harder for a little longer. Drop down in rpms and do it again, cruise around a bit and stretch it out again, just don`t hold it open for more than 15 20 seconds...
    run the rest of the fuel tank down this way.
    When your empty, fuel up and ride as normal...

If you are oil injected still add 1 ounce of 2 stroke oil per gallon to the fuel... if premixed, it`s ok to run it at 40:1...
    You`ll know right away if your carbs are responding correctly! Good luck and have fun!

thanks for the advice, now I just hoping this motor holds up

thanks for the advice, now I just hoping this motor holds up
    why wouldn`t it?

+1
    SBT=BOOM!

I have heard of people getting 2 hours on an sbt engine and I have heard of people getting 200 hours

I have heard of people getting 2 hours on an sbt engine and I have heard of people getting 200 hours
    like anything else, new cars and trucks, yes they have failures to but the percentages are small... the only ones you here about with ski`s is when people complain on a forum. and I`ll tell you there are plenty of people that should never wrench on ski`s... so it is mostly USER error bc they never found the root cause of the first failure and immediately think, heck where fine, we have a new engine and BOOM!...
    regadless of what SBT uses and how they do it people will always complain...
    I`ve had superchargers come apart directly after paying a shop to have it serviced, so what`s the diff, you just never know unless you rebuild yourself if your qualified and then shit can still happen easily...
    I have 2 SBT remans in this boat... they run well bc everything was gone thru and done to prevent a failure on my end. Now if the engine shits the bed, we`ll go from there and try an isloate the cause with informing SBT during the warranty period and let the politic/policy do their jobs.

From what I understand there success rate has increased, their failure minimized and it`s something you accept before purchasing...
    I hear of a lot more Blowzo shops not doing a good job and having failures to, but they will def argue cause and you don`t get the same customer service...
    also remember most engine blocks SBT gets are junk to start with from negligent riders, that`s why there are charges for holes in cases and jugs and core fee`s. Quite frankly I`m a bit impressed at the decent clean sealing surfaces and threaded inserts where necc. Most wouldn`t do that!.

so as long as you don`t open up the engine or MOD it you should be fine, if not, you`ll just be on the phone with SBT...

let`s not turn this into a shit bash thread and keep it real for the OP...

to be honest its been the only engine Iv had in the ski that always starts first time no problem. Im impressed with there customer service and how good the engine sounds.

+1
    I've used SBT engine for over 6 years and only had one engine to lock up from I can't count how many motors and it was the rotray valve shaft gear that shear the teeth for some reason and 2 motors were damage from shipping so they took care of everything. I've had great serrvice with SBT. Like Pale Rider said some people should not wrench on the skis if they can't fix what made it happen before it happens again. I go through EVERYTHING to make it right. I had a couple that forgot to put drain plugs in and sunk the skis so no worry for them with a free motor. So who would do that ?

Thread Information