'02 XLT 1200 Bogging Issue

My mechanic has no answer anymore....so I am coming on here for some help....Runs great with hose hooked up and running on land, but when we put in the water it will try to get going and around 5-10 mph it wil bog down and sometimes die out....here is what has been done to it already, fuel filter replaced, fuel pump kit put in, carbs rebuilt.....

Help please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Whats the compression?

Whats the status of the oil system? Blocked off?

Sounds like the piston is seizing.

+1
    A bad main seal will do that too; you're running on a hose with the seat off, but when on the water seat is on and the exhaust fumes choke the motor. Had this problem in an XL1200. -Greg

+1
    Perform a leak down test to see if that is the issue.

Here is the whole story on this ski....I bought it late last summer/early fall...it acted the same way then, so I thought it was thriving for gas, so I took the OEM fuel filter out and put in a large plastic fuel filter in...that didn't work so I had it winterized....took it to mechanic this year to have carbs rebuilt and he took it out and it ran great for over a hour....I picked up the skis and I noticed he did replace the larger filter and put in the new OEM filter I picked up.....so I changed the fuel filters, took it to the water and it acted up again....so I take it back and he checked fuel pressure and it was low....he put in fuel pump/accelerator kit just in time for me to grab and go on vacation...well here I am on vacation and it did not do the job....could it be maybe he didn't adjust the carbs for this smaller filter???? Should I try putting a larger fuel filter in???

+1
    maybe you have cloged fuel line.....

+1
    That's what mine did when I had a cylinder go bad. Ran fine out of the water but would fall on its face in the water. Have you checked the compression or looked down into the cylinders?

Banned User
    +1
    Maybe he's taking your money? I'd take it somewhere else and have him make it right

+1
    The factory fuel filter doesnt have any known issues unless its clogged. At the same time i dont see how a different fuel filter could really cause a problem.

Do a compression test and a leak down test. If you dont trust the mechanic find a different one. Need to know the answer to these tests otherwise just shooting in the dark.

Unbelievable! Got exactly same problem. Will run fine on low rpm. 5-8 min on a top speed - just dropping dead. When tray to restart acting like dead battery, will not turn. Let it cool down - works OK for another 10 min and same story, Just took it from mechanic, he replaced impeller seal a pump (it was cavitating, but worked just fine when get out out the hall) After he repairs start having this problem. Came back he swears he doid not touch the engine, just worked on a pump. Has no idea what the problem.

Thread Information