Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Anyone ever hooked upa tiny tach

Has anyone ever hooked up a tiny tach to a RXP motor if so how do you do it?

TinyTach use

I have tried a couple different models of TinyTachs on my '04 RXP. I settled on the commercial model for two reasons ... scan time for updated readings and increments of rpm it displays. Another thing I had Steve (tech @ TinyTach) do for me was replace the std guage pickup wire with a smaller guage wire. This was done because the clearance between the engine head spark plug opening and barrel/coil of the spark plug cap is very small. The std guage wire got pinched/chafed to a point that bare wire was exposed. Also I cut off the bottom part of the rubber boot on the spark plug cap to increase the space between spark plug cap opening and spark plug cap thus allowing more space for the pickup wire in hopes of eliminating any pinching/chafing.
    I ended up placing the pickup wire on the center cylinder/spark plug cap (one of Steve's suggestions) as it seemed to make the tach work best ... why? ... Your guess is as good as mine. I did not thoroughly test this setup as my season was quickly deteriorating (done in late Oct), but this seemed to work the best for the time I did use the TinyTach.

+1
    So you wrapped it around the the coil where it slides down into the head?

Pickup wire placement

Correct. It will not work by wrapping the pickup wire around the two small wires that run from the connector to the spark plug cap. Not enough current there.

+1
    Thanks I have a tiny tach from when I ran a 3 cyln 2 smoke... Now with the 4 stroke RXp motor I figured what the hell why not I already have it...

Will it work?

Not sure that TinyTach will work. Going off memory as I do not have paperwork/invoice in front of me, but I think I tried a 1X model first which would not even read rpms. Then tried a 4C model that worked, but slow scan time updates and reads in 20 rpm increments ... wanted more accuracy. Ended up getting the commercial model for reasons stated above.

+1
    If it doesnt work then I will just buy a commerical one and give away the other one.

The factory ones are very accurate. Why do you want the tiny tach?

Quote Originally Posted by watermedic View Post
    The factory ones are very accurate.
    I know everyone on here says that, but I still question that. I installed the Riva power filter and left the stock prop on and lost 100 RPM (went from 8100 to 8000). Went back and threw on the solas 14/19r and gained my 100~150 RPM back (now 8100~8150).

I still haven't been able to explain that one and neither has anyone else. I thought the Riva power filter was supposed to increase RPM and then the 14/19r bring them back down to increase speed. I don't think I was bouncing off the limiter because it would hold right at 8000 RPM. I dont know. Im not complaining though, I gained 1mph immediately after installing the power filter and then another 1mph after installing the 14/19r.

+1
    I figured I already have it why not see how accuate the stock one was to the tiny tach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information