Ultra 150- Replacing oil lines

Have an 01 ultra with 105 hrs on it. I want it to be as reliable as possible, so replacing the oil lines with the yellow ones seems natural. However, I don't want to run the risk of damaging anything.

I have a syringe to prime the lines before I install them. Will this be enough or should I run premix as well? Does the water box or carbs have to come off to get easy access to the lines? what about the flame arrestor?

+1
    Take the flame arrestor off. It's a lot easier if you remove the oil pump, too. Replace one hose at a time, they're different, so don't mix them up! Secure the hoses with stainless safety wire (.025", wrap twice, then twist the ends together). Fill the hoses as best you can prior to installation using your syringe. Check the oil pump cable for fraying (I bet it's frayed).

You don't need to run pre-mix, but if you've got some significant bubbles in the hoses, use a squeeze-type mustard bottle to dribble a little oil in each carb while you have it idling on the flush hose. It doesn't take much oil at idle, and you can speed up the process by opening twisting the pulley on the oil pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Take the flame arrestor off. It's a lot easier if you remove the oil pump, too. Replace one hose at a time, they're different, so don't mix them up! Secure the hoses with stainless safety wire (.025", wrap twice, then twist the ends together). Fill the hoses as best you can prior to installation using your syringe. Check the oil pump cable for fraying (I bet it's frayed).

You don't need to run pre-mix, but if you've got some significant bubbles in the hoses, use a squeeze-type mustard bottle to dribble a little oil in each carb while you have it idling on the flush hose. It doesn't take much oil at idle, and you can speed up the process by opening twisting the pulley on the oil pump.
    Steve has you covered.
    +1 on checking the cable and definitely open the oil pump all the way at first to get the bubbles out of the lines. Me personally, I would still run premix in my tank for the first few hours.

Thanks guys for the tips. I tackled this one today. Picked up the tygon from a local farm and fleet store. 7"8" to be exact

Sure am glad I did it. The middle carb oil line had some oil around the fitting...not sure from what. Could have started cracking? The hose had turned to a hard plastic for the lines that are near the carbs. Many cracks on a couple of them. I cut the hose off the fitting with an exacto knife. Took several hours, its kind of a pain in the ass due to no visibility for anything and tight clearances. I can't find the safety wire anywhere-so I secured the hoses with zip ties. They are very tight on there and I cant pull the hose off. Think this will be ok? Judging by how useless the stock clamps are, and the low pressure in the line, I think I should be ok.

I primed the lines and was very careful during installation. I only have a couple small (3/16" width) bubbles in a couple of the carb lines. I plan on running it idle with the pump manually held down to push the bubbles through. Should I bother with adding oil to the carbs? Is it safe to idle the ski with the flame arrestors off? I didn't do any premix-- is it too late to add a bit of oil to the tank?

+1
    If you have a small airport nearby, you can get some stainless safety wire from them. 5 feet of .025" will last your for years. They will likely just give it to you, but buy them a Coke or something.

Otherwise, send me a PM with your address and $2 and I'll send you some.

How about the remaining small bubbles? Should I just run it at idle with the pump full open?

Can the flame arrestors be off when idling?

Ran the ski for an hour or so today. First 15 mins was idling with the pump wide open until I could no longer see bubbles.

However, when I brought it back to the trailer, I noticed a few very very small bubbles in the oil lines that go to the ends of the motor. The carb ones were totally sollid with no leaks or bubbles. Any idea why there would still be bubbles on those lines? Is it normal?

+1
    You may have a leak on the supply line from the tank. Also, if the oil level in the tank is low, you may be agitating the oil and getting bubbles in it. A few tiny bubbles won't hurt.

Were you able to find safety wire?

Glad you found the bad hoses before they found you!

Thread Information