Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

For the gp1300r now VXR/S owners....

So im an X GPR rider looking for a new ski very soon. Ideally I would like a FZ but no new 2011 model and all the dealers want MSRP + on the 2012 models.

On paper the VXR or S would appear to be a killer ski. My main concern is the one thing I did not like about my 1300 was how it was in rougher water. Is the VXR better or worse in the rough? Can you improve the rough water ride on it?

Should I just wait and try and grab a FZ this summer (but will still be 2 or 3 grand more than the 11 VXR I found)

Thanks

+1
    I had two GP1200Rs that were fairly modded then had a bunch of RXPs, now a VXS (like VXR) ski. People draw comparisons between the GPR and the VXR, but I don't see a lot of them really. The VXR really reminds me more of the old Kawi STXRs. Quick, nimble, three seater that came out of the hole well.

The GPR was a big two seater. The VXR is a full three seater hull, but light. The GPR had a terrible stock holeshot, the VXR comes out of the hole pretty good. The stock GPR porpoised terribly in the chop, the stock VXR doesn't do that so much but does have a porpoise on smooth water at WOT that is fixable.

I enjoy my VXS ski much more than I enjoyed my GPRs, but I never had one that was tuned by one of the big GPR tuners either.

I hear the FZR is easier to handle in the chop, but I just outran one the other day in the chop on my (slightly modded) VXS. If you want mod and go faster than 72 MPH, then definitely look at something else that the VXR. It's a good low 70's ski, but without big bucks I don't think it will be much more than that. The FZR though seems to go much faster with easy mods, but then it has that supercharger in it as well and that ups the maintenance a bit. Lots of supercharger clutch issue threads on the forum.

3. +1 by:

+1
    great input... Im not looking to go much beyond 70 to be honest. Almost imposible to do around here. I really picture myself being more happy with a 0-60 time than a top speed and something that will start everytime and not drink a ton of gas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    great input... Im not looking to go much beyond 70 to be honest. Almost imposible to do around here. I really picture myself being more happy with a 0-60 time than a top speed and something that will start everytime and not drink a ton of gas.
    A VXR/S will definetly fit that bill. They are veryyyy good on gas but still very high performance. Considering it is NA you eliminate a lot of potential mantainence issues.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Its so much like my stxr was except with reverse and it def doesnt drink as much gas! And in my opinion not that bad in the rough def better than my gp1300r was. But 2 vs 3 seater and diff hull

+1
    Thanks everyone. Trying to work a deal on a 2011 vxr. Any idea what these should go for?

+1
    should be able to swing about $11K and change with a trailer

+1
    Try the FZ before you buy the VXR. On rough water they are very different...

I would ride both then make your mind up, imagine you bought the vxr then had a ride of the FZ and had regrets. FZ is a better ship and if you dont mod it which it sound your not into speed then you wont have problems simple.
    No extra maintence on a un modded ski. Oil, filter, fuel plugs at 50hr.

I was looking at vxr until I had a ride of both and even tested the 300x but the FZ is what I was happy with.

+1
    if you have the opportunity to ride different ones like the above 2 posts say i would def do it.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information