+1

Supercharger Mod

I know that there are a lot of posts regarding S/C. I do not what to initiate another discusion regarding with brand is better, etc. I know each one has their favorite. What I havenīt seen are any attempts to mod the stucture of the S/C. Here is my reasoning based mainly in my understanding of how turbochargers work in car setups (english is my second language, so I will try to be as clear as possible, and please forgive any gramatical errors):

S/C forces pressured air into the system, increasing hp. The more air pressure, the more hp (of course there are other engine mods required such as injectors, ecu and bla bla bla in order for the engine not to go boom!). To get more air pressure, we put a bigger s/c wheel. The bigger the wheel, the more air and more psi we get. We want air to go in easier and faster so we also put a bigger air hose with a 4" filter for example (and for air to exit faster we mod the exhaust system). In some models we even relocate the intercooler with less hoses and bends. In essence we want less resistance within the sistem. But the 4" air hose is conected to the s/c by an adaptor with brings the diameter back to the original s/c diameter. Even though the bigger hose is providing a greater flow of air from the filter to the s/c, isnīt the hose conector to the s/c generating a restriction? Wouldnīt a s/c with a 4" hole in which the air hose is conected directly provide greater flow or air in? which would generate more air pressure and psi that the current amount each wheel and brand now generates? Or would the diference be sow little its not worth it? I think building a new part (lacking for a better word) for the s/c would be a nice week end project (if it hasnīt been done before or if an improvement is expected)? Or maybe the part already exists and I do not know about it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	278683

Probably possible, problems with fasteners to the engine might occur? It will be a total re-design for sure and cost more than a turbo?

+1

+1
    Yes, that the adapter I was talking about being restrictive. If I am not mistaken, the housing is made of aluminiun, so tecnicaly if would be posible to enlage the center hole and weld a 4" aluminiun tube as the new conector. I am going to talk with I guy I now works alum parts and see if its posible. Suppose that if welded on outside and nothing touches the wheel, there is no possible harm to the s/c (appart from messing up the housing ofcourse).

+1
    The SC generates boost with a tight clearance between the inducer (Inlet) and and OD blades (Outlet). The biggest you can go on the inlet (Inducer) is 70mm. You cant just open the inlet to 101mm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The SC generates boost with a tight clearance between the inducer (Inlet) and and OD blades (Outlet). The biggest you can go on the inlet (Inducer) is 70mm. You cant just open the inlet to 101mm
    +1

Unless the wheel is also changed along with the housing this mod wouldn't let the supercharger compress the air efficiently.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Fosca View Post
    Yes, that the adapter I was talking about being restrictive. If I am not mistaken, the housing is made of aluminiun, so tecnicaly if would be posible to enlage the center hole and weld a 4" aluminiun tube as the new conector. I am going to talk with I guy I now works alum parts and see if its posible. Suppose that if welded on outside and nothing touches the wheel, there is no possible harm to the s/c (appart from messing up the housing ofcourse).
    the adapter is made of Urethane
    and the cover is made of aluminum

I see what he's saying, good idea if the above comments didn't come in the way..

Keep thinking though, this is how DIY mods come about...

+1
    How the incoming air enters the SC blades path is designed into the housing. Just making a bigger hole will not necessarily increase efficiency. It would have to be designed from the ground up.

Thread Information