Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Ultra 150-Cylinder # 3 Dead??

Hey Everyone,

So I recently picked up another Ultra 150.

I get it running and it just doesn't sound right. Doesn't sound like its properly running. I pull the plugs and the third one looks brand new.I put the plugs back in and start ripping wires off while the ski is running. There is NO CHANGE in RPM when the 3rd wire is pulled off the plug. I checked the following:

Fuel-
    I tested the engine with two sets of Carbs.
    I sprayed starting fluid in the third carb and no change in the engine rpm.

Compression-
    Did a compression Test-about 115-120 across the board.

Spark-
    Switched sparkplugs-Problem remains in third cylinder
    Tested for spark-Plenty of Spark
    Took my CDI out of my other working ULTRA and still same problem in third cylinder.

The only possible thing I can think of is that maybe the crank seals are bad. I figure its possible that when the piston goes down it forces the combustion mixture out the seals instead of up and on top of the piston.

Any Input would be beyond appreciated.
    Last edited by tua79610; 08-31-2012 at 03:10 PM.

+1
    Do you see signs of leakage on the back of the engine? Perhaps bad reeds, but I would imagine you've already inspected them.

No change when you sprayed starting fluid in the carb? (I assume it was running). Sounds like it's not getting spark. Unscrew the spark plug boot from the wire and see if you can pull out any wire strands with some needle nose pliers. Sometimes the wire will break internally and give funky intermittent problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Do you see signs of leakage on the back of the engine? Perhaps bad reeds, but I would imagine you've already inspected them.

No change when you sprayed starting fluid in the carb? (I assume it was running). Sounds like it's not getting spark. Unscrew the spark plug boot from the wire and see if you can pull out any wire strands with some needle nose pliers. Sometimes the wire will break internally and give funky intermittent problems.
    No Leakage from the reeds.

No Change when starting fluid is sprayed into the carbs while running.

As far as the spark, I took my whole CDI out, wires included, and installed them on my other ultra. The ultra ran flawlessly, therefore I dismissed spark as an issue.

I am leaning towards something internal in the lower end. But there appears to be no leaks.

THe only possible thing I can think of is bad crank seals..
    Last edited by tua79610; 08-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.

+1
    Crankshaft position sensor??? (Something wrong with the flywheel, perhaps?)

+1
    Crankshaft position sensor??? (Something wrong with the flywheel, perhaps?)
    This ski has a cps? What could be wrong with the flywheel?

+1
    It has to know exactly when to fire. There is a sensor under the front cover. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm sure it senses magnets on the flywheel. Could be a missing magnet, crap stuck to the magnet, too much clearance, or something.

I'm grasping at straws and I'm out of ideas.

If spraying starting fluid in it while running makes no difference, I can only surmise that it's not sparking while running.

Also, I thought perhaps 79610 was your zip code, mine is close to that. I looked it up and that particular code doesn't exist. I was just curious if you're in West Texas.

+1
    It has to know exactly when to fire. There is a sensor under the front cover. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm sure it senses magnets on the flywheel. Could be a missing magnet, crap stuck to the magnet, too much clearance, or something.

I'm grasping at straws and I'm out of ideas.

If spraying starting fluid in it while running makes no difference, I can only surmise that it's not sparking while running.

Also, I thought perhaps 79610 was your zip code, mine is close to that. I looked it up and that particular code doesn't exist. I was just curious if you're in West Texas.
    Hey thanks for the help.

It was the carbs after all this. I confirmed this when I took them off and placed them on my other Ultra and the 3rd cylinder was dead also.

As far as why there was no difference when starting fluid was sprayed into that carb, I still have no idea.

I'm actually not from Texas but from the Philadelphia area. A lot of people think the 79610 is my zip. lol. It was actually just my ID number from Temple University.

Anyway, thanks for suggestions. Was very much appreciated.

+1
    Glad you found it, many people never let us know what the problem was.

+1
    Update: I took the carbs apart and they look perfect. I can't seem to find anything wrong with them. I know its the carbs for sure because I put my other carbs on the ski and it runs like a champion, 70+.

I blew through the fuel line, gently lifting the needle and it flows perfectly. I replaced the diaphragm and no change.

Any ideas?

+1
    Update: I took the carbs apart and they look perfect. I can't seem to find anything wrong with them. I know its the carbs for sure because I put my other carbs on the ski and it runs like a champion, 70+.

I blew through the fuel line, gently lifting the needle and it flows perfectly. I replaced the diaphragm and no change.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information